Three neo-Nazis who plotted terrorist attacks on mosques and synagogues have been jailed for a total of 29 years.

Brogan Stewart was sentenced to 11 years, Marco Pitzettu to eight and Christopher Ringrose was handed a 10-year sentence at Sheffield Crown Court on Friday.

Stewart, 25, Pitzettu, 25 and Ringrose, 34, stockpiled body armour and more than 200 weapons, including crossbows, swords, machetes, axes, hunting knives and a 3D-printed gun.

The almost completed FGC-9 Mk II printed assault rifle found in Ringrose’s loft was missing the barrel and firing pin, but the men were sourcing the components to complete the weapon, which prosecutors said could then “have been used to devastating consequences”.

Sentencing them, judge Mrs Justice Cutts said she thought they all continued to believe in their extreme right-wing ideology.

The court heard the three men had a shared interest in bushcraft and YouTube videos of “preppers” – who prepare for the possibility of a world-changing disaster by stockpiling supplies, food and ammunition.

Christopher Ringrose's 3D-printed FGC9 firearm. Pic: PA/Counter Terrorism Policing North East

Image:
Christopher Ringrose’s 3D-printed FGC9 firearm. Pic: PA/Counter Terrorism Policing North East

Ringrose's 3D printer. Pic: Counter Terrorism Policing North East

Image:
Ringrose’s 3D printer. Pic: Counter Terrorism Policing North East

But prosecutors said they were preparing for a race war and had used the online communities to recruit an inner circle, which moved on to neo-Nazi chat groups before setting up their own private group, as they prepared to take action.

It was infiltrated by an undercover officer on 5 January last year.

Stewart messaged the officer on the encrypted Telegram app, telling him he was disillusioned with other far-right groups that just “sit around and talk,” adding: “I want to get my own group together because action speaks louder than words.”

Self-appointed leader Stewart, of Tingley, Wakefield, West Yorkshire, appointed Ringrose, of Cannock, Staffordshire, and Pitzettu, of Mickleover, Derbyshire, as “armourers” and they discussed getting a uniform as well as potential targets, including mosques and synagogues.

In a group call on 5 February last year, they said the plan was to “cruise around” looking for “human targets” near an Islamic education centre in Leeds, “do whatever we do, then back at mine for tea and medals and a debrief”.

A Nazi flag was found in Brogan Stewart's bedroom. Pic: PA/Counter Terrorism Policing North East

Image:
A Nazi flag was found in Brogan Stewart’s bedroom. Pic: PA/Counter Terrorism Policing North East

Before the “operation” went ahead, he wanted the members, who had never met in person, to “hang out, bring ourselves closer together and just cement that brotherhood” on 18 February.

But the event did not go ahead, and the group were arrested on 20 February after counter-terrorism police raided properties in Yorkshire, Derbyshire and Staffordshire.

All three men were found guilty of preparing acts of terrorism and possessing information useful for terrorism in May.

At trial, a jury ignored defence arguments that the defendants were fantasists with no intention of carrying out their threats.

Ringrose was also convicted of manufacturing the lower receiver for a 3D firearm, which are prohibited, while Pitzettu pleaded guilty to possessing a stun gun.

An image Stewart captured of himself. Pic: Counter Terrorism Policing North East

Image:
An image Stewart captured of himself. Pic: Counter Terrorism Policing North East

Detective Chief Superintendent James Dunkerley, head of Counter Terrorism Policing North East, said the group came together because of their “extreme racist views”.

“They’ve idolised the Nazi party, they’ve glorified mass murders, and they share a hatred of groups such as the Jewish community and the Muslim community,” he said.

“I genuinely believe had we not taken action, this group could’ve carried out a violent attack and the consequences of that attack could’ve been fatal.”

This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly.

Please refresh the page for the latest version.

You can receive breaking news alerts on a smartphone or tablet via the Sky News app. You can also follow us on WhatsApp and subscribe to our YouTube channel to keep up with the latest news.