Carlos Alcaraz and Jannik Sinner‘s championship match at the ATP Finals was halted after just 16 minutes following a “disturbance” in the crowd, related to what was believed to be a medical emergency. Defending champion Sinner was waiting to serve when Alcaraz heard a commotion in the stands and pointed it out to the umpire, who called for medics.

Sinner was under some pressure, serving at deuce in the fourth game, when the world No. 1 stepped in as some fans started to call out and catch the attention of officials. “Can I get medical staff up there please?” chair umpire Renaud Lichtenstein asked.

Sky Sports commentator Jonathan Overend could see something happening at the top of the arena from his position in the box. “A disturbance in the top tier, to our right. A good amount of concern as we peer up there. It’s the very, very corner of the top tier. We will have a break in play while officials deal with this. If it’s a medical emergency then all the time that is required will be given,” he told viewers.

Laura Robson was sitting courtside and credited Alcaraz for stepping in as paramedics took to the stands. “Difficult scenes again, it feels like it’s happened all too often this week in the stadium,” she said.

“But actually, Alcaraz was pretty much one of the first people to hear the signs of distress from the top tier and was pretty quick to stop play and Sinner was ready to serve. Since then, I can see paramedics up there, so good news is they got there very quickly, and hopefully the person is going to be okay.”

Sinner and Alcaraz convened at the net with the umpire. “They’re still helping the person, so we’ll wait until we know,” Lichtenstein told them. “I’ve heard the people shouting. It looks like the person is on the floor and they’re taking care of it.”

There have unfortunately been several medical emergencies in the stands at this week’s ATP Finals. Matches have been halted multiple times, and the Italian Tennis Federation and ATP confirmed that two spectators died from cardiac arrests on Monday. The incidents happened hours apart at the Inalpi Arena. The individuals, aged 70 and 78 respectively, were transferred to hospital but passed away.

Speaking at the net during the interruption in the final, Sinner said it was “stange” that there had been so many emergencies during the week. “I don’t know if it’s the air up there?” the world No. 2 asked. The umpire replied: “It’s not that hot but maybe there.” Alcaraz joined the conversation, agreeing conditions might be difficult at the top of the arena.

Officials, including the tournament director and ATP referee, took to the court as the players and umpire continued their conversation. Alcaraz and Sinner later returned to the baseline, and the Spanish star tried to stay relaxed with some shadow golf swings as the delay continued.

The fans inside the Inalpi Arena applauded as medics were able to resolve the issue, and play resumed more than 11 minutes later. It was a test for Sinner, who hit a double fault before the match was halted, but he was able to hold and levelled the score at 2-2. And the reigning champion went on to defend his title, clinching a 7-6(4) 7-5 victory over his biggest rival.