Swinney added that members of the public had questions about asylum housing plans – such as healthcare arrangements for asylum seekers.
The UK government announced on Friday that it was ending the unrestricted use of taxis to transport asylum seekers to medical appointments.
It comes after a BBC investigation found some people had travelled long distances by taxis or minicabs, with one asylum seeker saying they went on a 250-mile cab journey to a GP, costing the Home Office £600.
Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood said taxis would only be authorised in the most exceptional circumstances.
Reflecting on the move, Swinney said: “People have got to get to medical appointments. You’ve got to have accessible healthcare services for asylum seekers.
“Don’t send asylum seekers to places where it’s impossible for them to access public services because what you will then do is feed stories like the one you’ve just put to me, where the Home Office are making a big song and dance about clamping down on taxi use when in fact it’s the chaotic arrangements of the Home Office that have fuelled that in the first place.”
A Home Office spokesperson previously said: “We are furious at the level of illegal migrants and asylum hotels.
“Moving to large military sites is an important part of our reforms to remove the incentives that draw illegal migrants to Britain.
“We are continuing to accelerate plans to move people into Cameron Barracks, when it is fully operational and safe.
“We will continue to work closely with local representatives and authorities throughout this transition.”