Decisions to lift reporting restrictions when under 18s are sentenced are never taken lightly.

Lengthy discussions took place in court on Tuesday ahead of the sentencing. Applications were made by Birmingham Live, the Daily Mail and the BBC, and were supported by other news organisations.

Mr Justice Choudhury said he believed there was a strong public interest in this case and that outweighed arguments made by Moulton’s lawyers to protect his identity.

The escalation of the teenager’s offending played a part in his decision, he said, adding that by the time of his third attack on a vulnerable elderly woman, a pattern had been established.

The judge also said public concern about knife crime played a factor in his decision.

Moulton had shown no obvious sign of remorse, nor had he shown any positive signs of rehabilitation since he’d been detained.

Asked about this by the judge, defence barrister Alistair Webster KC, told the court that it had been “one step forwards and two steps back”, but argued that identifying the teenager would pose a risk to his rehabilitation.

Birmingham Children’s Trust had sought an extension of 24 hours to a stay on reporting Moulton’s identity, but said its application had been refused.

The trust said it intended to apply for a judicial review of the decision to name the teenager, but on Thursday afternoon it said it had not made that application.

It said would be participating in a local child safeguarding practice review along with other agencies to identify any learning.

During Tuesday’s hearing, Moulton showed little emotion.

He had grown a lot since his first appearance at Birmingham Magistrates’ Court a year ago.

He sat mostly with his head slightly bowed. The only exception came when Christopher Ross, Leo’s father, addressed him directly as he began reading his victim impact statement, and said “look up man, you killed my son”.