By Heejin Kim

SEOUL, Feb 13 (Reuters) – The sister of North Korea’s ruler said on Friday ‌that South Korean authorities should take steps to ‌prevent “reoccurrence of provocative sovereignty violation,” state media KCNA reported, referring to ​a drone flown into its airspace recently.

Kim Yo Jong, the powerful sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, said in a statement she appreciates the ‌South Korean Unification ⁠Minister Chung Dong-young’s expression of his regret over the “drone intrusion” as “sensible behavior,” KCNA reported.

Chung ⁠earlier this week in his speech at a local cathedral expressed “deep regret” over a drone sent by a ​South Korean ​civilian, according to Yonhap ​News Agency.

Kim said it ‌was “fortunate” that Chung made the comment, adding that Pyongyang does not care who sent the drone and whether it was an individual or a civilian organisation.

South Korean President Lee Jae Myung, who has sought ‌a conciliatory approach toward Pyongyang, said ​in January that there appeared ​to be a ​loophole in the monitoring system to ‌detect drones operated by local ​civilians.

South Korea’s Ministry ​of Unification said on Friday the drone incident goes against its principle of peaceful coexistence with ​North Korea, ‌and Seoul will work to prevent any recurrence.

(Reporting ​by Heejin Kim and Joyce Lee;Editing by Bill ​Berkrot and Lincoln Feast.)