Text to Speech Icon

Listen to this article

Estimated 2 minutes

The audio version of this article is generated by AI-based technology. Mispronunciations can occur. We are working with our partners to continually review and improve the results.

A man in his 70s is dead after being struck by a tractor trailer in the 200 block of Panatella Hill N.W. on Monday morning — the second pedestrian fatality in 24 hours, according to Calgary police.

Police say the man was in a marked crosswalk when he was struck by a tractor trailer as it was backing up to unload cargo.

The man was rushed to the hospital, but succumbed to his injuries.

The incident is Calgary’s seventh traffic fatality in 2026 and the third involving a pedestrian, police said. 

“I think it’s incredibly concerning at this point to see a number as high as seven, only six weeks into the new year, is definitely alarming,” acting Insp. Shelby Stewart told reporters Monday afternoon.

“I think it’s a good reminder that as we’re driving and as pedestrians we need to be aware of our surroundings. We need to be taking care of each other.”

On Sunday, a toddler died after being struck by a vehicle in southwest Calgary.

The toddler was hit by a Jeep Cherokee turning into the intersection at a marked crosswalk while in a stroller being pushed by two adults, neither of whom were injured, police said.

In January, a man in his nineties died of his injuries following a collision in the southwest Calgary community of Upper Mount Royal.

In 2025, fatalities on Calgary roads hit a 10-year high, with the city recording 15 pedestrian deaths.

“We did see an increase overall last year, so to see the year start at this volume is definitely concerning for how the rest of it is going to go,” Shelby said.

With wintery weather conditions expected over the next few days, Shelby urged extra caution for those out on the roads.