By Kelly Geraldine Malone

The Canadian Press

Posted February 18, 2026 7:10 pm

1 min read

Descrease article font size

Increase article font size

The minister in charge of Canada-U.S. trade says he will be sitting down with U.S. President Donald Trump’s trade czar in the coming weeks to discuss the looming review of the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement.

Dominic LeBlanc says he spoke with U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer on the phone after his American counterpart last week said Canadians had barriers that made it difficult to have bilateral trade talks.

Get the day's top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

Get daily National news

Get the day’s top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

The Trump administration has been causing uncertainty about the trilateral trade pact, known as CUSMA, ahead of a mandatory review taking place this year.

Trump has mused about leaving the agreement and Greer has talked about negotiating separate bilateral trade pacts with America’s closest neighbours.

Trending Now

‘So much hope’ as Team Canada goes for Olympic gold in women’s hockey

Canada through to Olympic men’s curling final

LeBlanc, who is leading a large trade mission to Mexico this week, says Ottawa and their Mexican counterparts are in agreement that a North American deal involving all three countries is the best way forward.

Story continues below advertisement

He says Canada and Mexico do have different trade relationships with the United States but there are many areas of common ground.

More on Politics
More videos

&copy 2026 The Canadian Press