President Trump claimed Wednesday negotiations with Iran are in the “final stages” with a possible agreement to restart peace talks in sight — but the US military will have to get “a little bit nasty” if no deal is reached.
“We’re in final stages of Iran,” he told reporters at Joint Base Andrews. “We’ll see what happens. Either [we] have a deal or we’re going to do some things that are a little bit nasty, but hopefully that won’t happen.”
Global oil prices fell more than 5% after the president’s comments. In the US, oil stayed under $100 a barrel, clocking in at $98.94. It was the biggest drop in oil prices in two weeks.
President Trump told the press at Joint Base Andrews that the negotiations with Iran have reached the “final stages.” REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein
Pakistani sources told The Post they are helping the US and Iran draft a letter of intent for a new round of talks, defining the points up for discussion. Trump has said would take place in Islamabad if Iran is ready to talk about axing its nuclear ambitions and reopening the Strait of Hormuz.
Negotiations between Washington and Tehran have stalled over the future of Iran’s nuclear program and reopening the critical Strait of Hormuz.
Specifically, Trump has refused to send negotiators for a second round of talks so long as Iran refuses to budge on its demand that it keep its right to uranium enrichment.
The situation is fluid, the president noted later in the day.
“It could go very quickly, or a few days, it could be a few days, but it could go very quickly,” he said after he gave the commencement address at the Coast Guard Academy.
He described the situation as “very right on the borderline. Believe me, if we don’t get the right answers, it goes very quickly. We’re all ready to go. We have to get the right answers. It would have to be a complete 100% good answers.”
Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Rafael Peralta (DDG 115) implements a maritime blockade against an Iranian-flagged ship attempting to sail toward an Iranian port, April 26, 2026. U.S. Central Command Public Affairs
But, he said “hopefully those people will make a deal” and indicated he was willing to wait to order another military strike.
“If I can save people from getting killed by waiting a couple of days, I think it is a great thing to do,” Trump noted.
Follow The Post’s coverage on the latest in the war with Iran:
Regional media outlets on Wednesday reported a deal could come within “hours” — and that Pakistani Field Marshal Asim Munir may travel to Iran to appeal directly to Tehran as soon as Thursday if an agreement is not made.
But a Pakistani government source shed doubt on the report, calling it “speculative” in a message to The Post.
U.S. Secretary of War Pete Hegseth speaks during a press briefing at the Pentagon on May 05, 2026 in Arlington, Virginia. Getty Images
Any “deal” currently under discussion is more of a pledge of willingness by both Iran and the US to seriously discuss the end to the war, rather than a declaration that the war is over with all details worked out.
The president has been clear he doesn’t want Iran to have a nuclear weapon – a commitment he wants in writing as part of the peace talks.
Tehran has so far been unwilling to even consider the possibility, arguing it has a “peaceful” nuclear program focused on energy production.
The Strait of Hormuz also remains a sticking point, as Iran considers it their territorial waters and wants to install a toll for commercial ship traffic. Cargo vessels and oil tankers remain in a holding pattern as the waterway stays closed.
A woman waves an Iranian flag in front of an anti-US billboard referring to US President Donald Trump and the Strait of Hormuz at Valiasr Square in Tehran on May 5, 2026. AFP via Getty Images
In response, the US military launched blockade to Iranian ports, which the Pentagon considers one of its main leverage points with Tehran.
Start your day with all you need to know
Morning Report delivers the latest news, videos, photos and more.
Thanks for signing up!
The standoff in the strait could trigger a severe global food price crisis within six to 12 months unless governments act quickly, the UN’s Food and Agriculture Organization warned Wednesday.
“The window for preventive action is closing quickly,” the agency said.
Food prices have already risen, but poor countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America could be hit even harder as many of them buy nitrogen fertilizer from the Middle East.