Five staff at a Queensland childcare centre were able to secret away six children in the moments it took a man to smash his way inside on Monday.

Visitors must use a fingerprint scanner to enter the premises — a security system that slowed down the intruder and helped protect those inside.

Police said the 28-year-old man eventually forced his way into the centre, was self-harming and sustained serious injuries.

Emergency services were called to the centre about 6pm Monday after reports of a disturbance.

Police said officers treated the man before paramedics arrived, but he died at the scene a short time later. 

No other person was injured.

The children inside were spared any view of his injuries or behaviour aside from his first approach.

The incident is being treated as a death in custody and is now under investigation by the Ethical Standards Command on behalf of the State Coroner.

If you or anyone you know needs help:Suicide Call Back Service on 1300 659 467Lifeline on 13 11 14Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander crisis support line 13YARN on 13 92 76Kids Helpline on 1800 551 800Beyond Blue on 1300 224 636Headspace on 1800 650 890ReachOut at au.reachout.comMensLine Australia on 1300 789 978QLife 1800 184 527‘Not known to centre’

A spokesperson for Habitat Peregian Springs childcare centre said in a statement the offender was not known to any staff or families of the centre.

“The offender was unable to gain immediate access to the centre due to security measures, including fingerprint scanners, and this allowed our staff the time to follow their safety protocols and hide everyone in a secure location,” the statement read.

“None of the children witnessed the offender after his initial attempts to enter the building.”

The spokesperson also thanked police who “responded within minutes to resolve the situation”.

“We are providing counselling to all our staff, children and parents involved.

“The centre will remain closed for several days as we work with police.”

Traumatic experience

Education Minister John Paul Langbroek was asked about the incident during a press conference on Tuesday.

“That is a horrendous issue that I’ve only just been advised of,” Mr Langbroek said.

“It’s a particularly traumatic experience they’ve gone through.

“I think that those early childhood teachers and educators are heroes and any counselling service that is needed will be provided.

“The safety of our children is paramount and from the briefing I’ve had, I understand those educators have done an amazing job and I’m sure there’ll be tributes paid to them for the work that they’ve done.”

Police officer looking at camera.

Acting Inspector Scott Wiggins praised childcare centre staff for their actions. (ABC Sunshine Coast: Madeline Grace)

Sunshine Coast police officer Acting Inspector Scott Wiggins said it was also a traumatic experience for the officers involved.

“We’re providing those officers with care and support,” Inspector Wiggins said.

“The staff at the childcare centre did an absolutely remarkable job with their practices into going into lockdown and protecting the children that were present that night.”

He said specialist negotiators had been on the scene, and he could understand “any anxiety or apprehension” from parents.

“Rest assured that this incident has been resolved and there’s no further threat,” he said.

Police have confirmed the man was known to them. 

Community shocked

Local residents and business owners have described their shock at the incident.

Hideya Fujimaki, who works at a nearby business, said he heard a woman screaming from inside the neighbouring childcare centre.

He said he returned to work shortly after 7pm and saw police and parents gathered outside.

Another local resident said she also heard a man screaming from the centre.

The ABC has contacted the childcare centre for comment.