Open this photo in gallery:

From left, Barrie Police Service communications supervisor Jennett Mays, Chief Rich Johnston, Sgt. Brett Carleton and Staff Sgt. Jason Fearon provide an update on a homicide case in Barrie, Ont., on Tuesday.Vanessa Tiberio/The Canadian Press

Two men who were killed and dismembered previously lived in the same homeless encampment in Barrie, Ont., as the suspect charged in their alleged murders, police say.

At a press conference on Tuesday, Barrie Police Chief Rich Johnston described the killings as an “isolated incident,” and said police aren’t searching for other victims or suspects.

“Barrie is a safe community. Incidents like this are shocking and understandably shake our community, but they are exceedingly rare,” Chief Johnston said.

However, police declined to say what their investigation has uncovered about the apparent motives of the accused, Robert Ladouceur, 52, and did not provide details about the alleged murders of William (Blake) Robinson, 45, or David (Kyle) Cheesequay, 41.

Mr. Ladouceur was arrested in Midland, Ont., on Aug. 2, after trying to flee from a vehicle. He has a “violent” criminal history and is known to police, Sergeant Brett Carleton said on Tuesday. He is facing 33 charges, including first and second degree murder, two counts of indignity to a dead body, and other gun, theft and drug trafficking charges – none of which have been tested in court.

Opinion: Break into my home at your own risk

The police investigation began in February after Mr. Robinson’s family, who hadn’t heard from him since January, reported him missing. Mr. Cheesequay was reported missing at the end of July.

The investigation ramped up on July 30 when police say they received a tip about a missing person, which led them to an encampment in a large wooded area bordered by Victoria, John and Anne streets in Barrie.

Investigators later expanded their search to a rural property in Huntsville, Ont., and a home in north Simcoe County, where they collected evidence, Chief Johnston said.

“What began as a missing person investigation in January of this year was grown into one of the largest investigations Barrie police have ever had,” Sgt. Carleton said at the press conference.

The suspect and the two victims knew each other and lived in the encampment at some point over the past two or three years, police said. The killings are believed to be targeted.

Mr. Cheesequay moved from British Columbia to Barrie about 15 years ago, where he became known as one of the best skateboarders in town, said friend Dan Bokma in an interview on Tuesday.

Mr. Bokma remembered his friend, who had a daughter, as kind-hearted and soft-spoken.

“Every time I saw Kyle, I didn’t get the impression things were rough. He always had a smile on his face,” Mr. Bokma said.

Human remains were found at both the Barrie encampment and the Huntsville property, police said, without providing any further details.

In a press release earlier this month, the City of Barrie said the encampment was cleared during the police investigation, and city staff are working with community partners to find housing for those who were displaced.

Sgt. Carleton thanked those who have spoken with the police and asked anyone with more information to come forward as the investigation continues.

With reports from The Canadian Press