Listen to this article
Estimated 3 minutes
The audio version of this article is generated by text-to-speech, a technology based on artificial intelligence.
Police in the Indian capital of Delhi say they have arrested the “prime conspirator” behind a series of extortion-linked shootings at a British Columbia café.
A statement from the Delhi Police Crime Branch says 28-year-old Bandhu Maan Singh Sekhon fled to India after a crackdown by Surrey police in which several of his associates were arrested.
Sekhon’s arrest was raised after a meeting about extortion crime between police and politicians in Surrey, B.C., where federal Public Safety Minister Gary Anandasangaree said he was aware of the arrest of an individual “allegedly involved with an act in British Columbia.”
The Delhi police statement alleges Sekhon was the strategist responsible for planning, executing and providing logistical support for three shootings at Kap’s Cafe, while other men pulled the trigger.
WATCH | B.C. premier makes announcement on extortion response:
B.C. premier makes an announcement on response to extortion
David Eby and other officials make an announcement about their response to extortion threats in B.C. and support for victims.
Kap’s Cafe, owned by Indian comedian Kapil Sharma, has been peppered by gunfire three times since it opened in July.
The most recent case was on Oct. 16, when video filmed from the point of view of the shooter in a vehicle was widely shared on social media.
Bullet holes are pictured in the windows of Kap’s Cafe, owned by Bollywood celebrity Kapil Sharma, on Aug. 7. (Ethan Cairns/CBC)
Delhi police say Sekhon is a member of the Goldy Dhillon gang that claimed responsibility for the shootings.
Peel Regional Police in Ontario announced last December that a man with a nearly identical name, who was from British Columbia, had been charged with firearms and other offences.
The news came as federal, provincial, and municipal officials met with police in Surrey to discuss the ongoing issue of extortion in the province.
B.C. RCMP Assistant Commissioner John Brewer said police were aware of the arrest. (Ben Nelms/CBC)
B.C. RCMP Assistant Commissioner John Brewer said the Mounties were aware of the arrest and were working to see if there are links to any known instances of crime in the Lower Mainland.
The federal and provincial governments announced $1 million in funding for police to support extortion victims.
Premier David Eby said the funding would allow for police communication with victims and help those people make a safety plan, if needed.
WATCH | Federal minister pledges support to victims:
‘We’re hearing you, we’re with you,’ says minister on supporting victims facing extortion threats
Gary Anandasangaree, public safety minister, outlined measures the federal government will take to assist victims of extortion while taking part in a summit on the issue in Surrey, B.C., on Friday.
There are 90 investigations underway connected to the extortion file.
Eby said a task force appointed to counter the crimes is the largest in provincial history, and the first that involves the Canada Border Services Agency.
The premier told the gathering that the extortion threats are terrifying to families and tear the fabric of the community when people don’t have the basic expectation of safety in their homes, at work and on the streets.
The extortions, mostly aimed at businesspeople in the South Asian community, have resulted in dozens of reported shootings in Surrey and Abbotsford, and some have been linked to the Lawrence Bishnoi crime group based in India.