Iran warns of renewed US attack, says it is 'ready to inflict greater damage'Iran’s army voices readiness for potential renewed US attack. (AP) Iran on Sunday warned that the United States could launch a renewed attack, saying Tehran was prepared for a confrontation and would inflict “greater damage” on Washington, according to Iranian state media.Iranian army spokesperson Mohammad Akraminia said the country’s armed forces were fully prepared for any confrontation and warned that the US would suffer greater losses if it launched another attack on Iran.The warning came as tensions between Tehran and Washington remained high, even as Iran continued to pursue a diplomatic route over the Strait of Hormuz. US President Donald Trump has rejected Iran’s seven-day proposal to reopen the strategic waterway and end the conflict.According to Al Jazeera, another Iranian army chief commander Amir Hatami said the conflict with the US had entered a critical stage and warned that Tehran remained prepared for further confrontation.“The war is not over, we have won, but we must consolidate this victory, and the aggressor enemy, which has suffered severe blows, must still be ready to receive severe blows from the dear Iranian soldiers,” Hatami said.He further said that Tehran would not accept a situation in which Iran was unable to trade while foreign powers continued to use the region’s strategic waterways.“If Iran cannot trade, if Iran cannot live, no one will be able to trade or live. The Strait of Hormuz is the strait of our dignity and honour, and it will not be allowed for the country’s enemies to use this major logistical chokepoint while the Iranian people are deprived,” Reuters reported.His remarks came as Tehran continued to signal that it was prepared for further military action while keeping open the possibility of negotiations.Iran awaits formal US responseIranian foreign minister Abbas Araghchi said Tehran had seen Trump’s initial reaction to its seven-day proposal but was still waiting for Washington’s definitive position through mediators.“The plans we presented were reviewed, explained, and discussed in meetings. They were also conveyed to the American side by intermediaries,” Araghchi said.“We have seen the first reaction from the US President, but nothing has been conveyed to us from the mediators yet. Of course, the US President has made many good and also contradictory statements, which unfortunately are heard a lot from him. We are waiting for the definitive opinions to be conveyed to us by the mediators, and we will make a decision based on that,” he added.Araghchi said Iran’s conditions for reopening the Strait of Hormuz had been set by the Supreme National Security Council and communicated to mediators.“In any case, our conditions are clear, and any move forward to open the Strait of Hormuz is contingent on the fulfilment of these conditions, and we will not back down from them,” he said.He also reiterated Tehran’s support for a negotiated settlement, saying, “Our enemies have tried every path they could, but they have not succeeded. There will be no other path than a negotiated solution based on honour and justice, ensuring the rights of the Iranian people and meeting their legitimate demands.”“Only a negotiated solution can get them out of this impasse. This is our position. Many countries share our position and understand it,” he added.Araghchi’s response came after Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian told Al Jazeera that Tehran no longer trusted negotiations with Washington following previous rounds of talks that were followed by attacks and sanctions.“We have no trust in the American side and do not know on what basis an understanding can be reached with it,” Pezeshkian said.Despite the tensions, Pezeshkian said Iran remained open to resolving the crisis through negotiations, adding that the Strait of Hormuz could be reopened if an agreement was reached to end the conflict.However, Trump on Saturday rejected Iran’s proposal to reopen the strategic waterway within seven days. “I reject their proposal,” he told reporters.Under the Iranian proposal, the Strait would be reopened once the necessary conditions were met, while negotiations with Washington would resume. Tehran conveyed the proposal through mediators, including Qatar and Pakistan.