A court has heard a 52-year-old man accused of stealing rare ancient Egyptian artefacts from a museum north of Brisbane in a heist allegedly took them because he believed it was his “duty” to return them to their “rightful place”.
Miguel Simon Mungarrieta Monsalve, who police said on Sunday had no fixed address, appeared before the Cleveland Magistrates Court today. He was refused bail.
Magistrate Deborah Vasta described his “bizarre” alleged offending as akin to “something from a ‘Simpsons’ episode” had it not been so serious.
He has been charged with a range of offences, including four counts of wilful damage after he allegedly broke into the Abbey Museum of Art and Archaeology in Caboolture in the early hours of Friday morning.

An Egyptian cat figurine was among the stolen items. (Supplied)
Police prosecutors alleged in court on Monday that he smashed a window of the building with an axe to gain entry and smashed several glass cases once inside.
It is alleged he stole four artefacts, including a mummy mask, a collar, a piece of jewellery and a wooden cat figurine from the museum.
The court heard he also caused “irreparable” damage to other items in the museum, including a ring.
Concern about links to ‘Catholic Church’, court hears
Three of the items were recovered from Mr Mungarrieta Monsalve’s van on Saturday afternoon, police said.
The court heard he had been living out of his van, which was parked at a ferry terminal on Brisbane’s bayside. He was arrested on Russell Island later that evening.
Police allege he was in possession of the final artefact, a wooden cat figurine, at the time of his arrest. The court heard he had also been charged with possessing LSD and cannabis.

The items were allegedly stolen from the Abbey Museum early Friday morning. (ABC News: Lottie Twyford)
Police prosecutors outlined on Monday how Mr Mungarrieta Monsalve, who is originally from Venezuela, had allegedly told them he did not believe the museum should have had the artefacts in its possession because of the institution’s links to the “Catholic Church”.
“The defendant believed it was his duty to acquire the artefacts and return them to their rightful place … he’s in Russell Island,” the police prosecutor told the court.
“It’s not the right place to have [them]. In addition, he’s also got the artefacts wrapped up in his country flag.”
‘Protracted’ alleged offending
Police prosecutors characterised the 52-year-old’s alleged offending as “protracted”.
Mr Mungarrieta Monsalve has also been charged with a range of other offences, including trespassing, assault occasioning actual bodily harm and possessing dangerous drugs.
The court heard the trespass and assault charges related to offences allegedly committed in Noosa the night before, where police allege he entered a unit complex and pushed the caretaker to the ground.
Police also allege that when he was on Russell Island, Mr Mungarrieta Monsalve became involved in a “verbal altercation” with a group of young people and assaulted an 11-year-old.
Mr Mungarrieta Monsalve told the court he was not a violent person and worked as a carer. He said he also taught yoga to people with disabilities.
He nodded his head several times throughout the proceedings.
He initially requested a different solicitor, but a duty lawyer appearing on his behalf ultimately told the court Mr Mungarrieta Monsalve had no mental health diagnoses, but had been prescribed medicinal cannabis.
Several conditions for bail were proposed; however, the court heard police had issues with a proposed address, including that it was a “storage” facility which Mr Mungarrieta Monsalve was no longer linked to.
Police ultimately submitted he was “too dangerous” and Ms Vasta agreed the alleged offending was “serious” and he was at risk of committing further offences.
The matter will return to court in Caboolture next month.
Museum working to restore objects
Senior curator Michael Strong and museum manager Nina Pye have welcomed the quick return of the stolen artefacts. (ABC News: Lottie Twyford)
On Sunday, Abbey Museum staff said the artefacts had been returned to them after suffering some minor damage.
Curator Michael Strong said the staff were still in shock over the theft.
“To find somebody has taken [the artefacts] using violence … smashed the glass to take them without any care or thought or any consideration for their fragility or their age — they’re all in temperature-controlled displays — to expose them to the Queensland weather at the moment is just a horrendous thing,” he told the ABC.
He said from the initial inspection of the pieces, they will all require repairs.