Canterbury Bulldogs premiership hero Matt Utai has been hospitalised and undergone emergency surgery after being shot twice in a drive-by attack in Western Sydney.

The Daily Telegraph reported the ex-Bulldogs player was the man gunned down in an early-morning attack outside his home in Greenacre.

Police are treating it as a “targeted” attack but multiple reports suggest Utai himself may not have been the intended target, with police investigating possible links of a family member — believed to be Utai’s son — to organised crime.

WHAT’S GAMBLING REALLY COSTING YOU? Set a deposit limit. For Free and confidential support call 1800 858 858 or visit gamblinghelponline.org.au.

Watch the 2026 NRL Pre-season series plus the All-Star matches LIVE and ad-break free during play on FOX LEAGUE, available on Kayo Sports | New to Kayo? Join now and get your first month for just $1.

NSW police superintendent Rodney Hart did not confirm Utai’s identity but told a press conference on Tuesday a 44-year-old man was in a “serious but stable” condition and was undergoing surgery.

He said the man was found writhing on the front lawn in “a fair amount of pain” but was able to speak to police when they arrived. It appeared he had been shot twice — once in the lower leg and once in the “upper shoulder/chest” area — just before 6am local time, with Supt Hart describing it as a “brazen ambush of this male person who was heading to his vehicle to go to work.”

Matt Utai has been shot twice in an attack.Source: News Limited

MORE TO COME

MORE NRL NEWS

ANALYSIS: The NRL just unveiled a staggering Origin eligibility overhaul… here’s what it means

BIG CHANGE: NRL confirms Origin eligibility overhaul as league chief ends rule that ‘makes no sense’

TALKING POINTS: Dogs reveal exposes halves dilemma; NRL’s biggest bargain buy emerges

Daily Telegraph chief reporter Josh Hanrahan earlier reported Utai’s condition had been considered critical.

“He was given a ‘green light corridor’ to hospital which essentially means they cut off every road and get him there as quickly as they can,” Hanrahan said on Fox Sports News.

“It’s not a good sign… I think they are hopeful he may make it through but what that looks like, it’s too early to speculate.”

Police address Matt Utai shooting | 07:08

Police confirmed details of the incident via a statement on Tuesday morning.

“About 6am today, emergency services were called to Macquarie Street, Greenacre, following reports of a public place shooting,” a statement read.

“Officers attached to Bankstown Police Area Command attended and were told a man had been shot outside a home by the occupants of an SUV before it drove away.

“The man – aged 44 – was treated at the scene by NSW Ambulance paramedics for multiple gunshot wounds before being taken to hospital in a serious condition.

“A short time later police were called to Samuel Street, Wiley Park, following reports of a car fire.

“Police attended and found an SUV well alight.

“The fire was extinguished by Fire and Rescue NSW and the car was seized for forensic examination.

“Police have established crime scenes at both locations with Bankstown detectives commencing an investigation and treating both incidents as linked.”

Hanrahan said on FSN police were looking into theory the incident may be related to Utai’s son having alleged links to known Sydney gangs.

“Police have got a massive investigation into why this has happened,” he said.

Get all the latest news, highlights and analysis delivered straight to your inbox with Fox Sports NRL Sportmail. Sign up now!!!

Doueihi ready to start as Tigers’ halves | 01:05

“What has led gunman to his house, and to eventually pull the trigger, on a man who is not known for any criminal links whatsoever and is known for his feats on the rugby league field?

“… It’s a high-profile name and it’s a shocking incident that has happened this morning.”

Hanrahan said police were looking into the fact there may have been another shooting at the residence in recent months.

Superintendent Hart confirmed police were treating it as a “targeted” attack on the residence and appealed to any witnesses in the area to come forward to police.

“The person that is currently in hospital … is known to police but he has no criminal history,” he said.

“…The majority of these types of incidents are linked to organised crime but it is concerning when innocent people are injured and… this strike force will focus heavily on identifying why this has happened and who was involved.”

Superintendent Hart said there was a “concerning” escalation in crime in the city’s southwest, and police were investigating if the shooting was linked to other incidents.

“We have seen fire bombings and shootings,” he said.

“At this point in time, it is early in the investigation, so investigators need to link those parts together to identify if this certain shooting is linked to any other organised crime or recent activity in Sydney.”

Utai was part of the Bulldogs’ 2004 Bulldogs premiership-winning team and played 162 NRL games for the club, and later the Wests Tigers, between 2002 and 2013.

He was named 2002 Dally M Rookie of the Year and played four times for New Zealand and three times for Samoa.

NEIGHBOURS RECALL HEARING GUNSHOTS, SCREAMS

Salma, who has lived in the area for more than two years, said she was woken by the sound of gunshots firing through the residential street.

“I just heard like about four, five shots, (a) scream, and … a car speeding so quick,” she told NewsWire.

“It just happened so quick.”

After hearing the sound of gunfire, Salma ran outside and recalled seeing “a few people” on the street, including police and paramedics.

“By the time I looked out the window, about three or four minutes later, (I saw) just cops and ambulances coming down my street,” she said.

Salma said she was shaken by the incident.

“I was really upset,” she said.

“I don’t even know the person, but it’s sad.”

SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA – OCTOBER 3: Matt Utai of the Bulldogs shows fans the NRL trophy during the NRL Grand Final between the Sydney Roosters and the Bulldogs held at Telstra Stadium, October 3, 2004 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Chris McGrath/Getty Images)Source: Getty Images

Triple-M breakfast show host Beau Ryan, who was Mr Utai’s teammate at the Wests Tigers, said his loved ones were “still trying to process” the incident.

“We are praying for Matt and his family that hopefully he makes a recovery,” he said.

“It is tough times. Thoughts and prayers to everyone.”

Mr Ryan said he had a lot of memories with the former NRL player.

“I remember it clearly the first time I met Matt Utai – we obviously played with him at the Tigers,” he said.

“He was a guy we spent a lot of time with on the field and off the field.”

Triple-M co-host Aaron Woods, who also played alongside Mr Utai, said he was “rocked” by the shooting and had his “fingers crossed” for a quick recovery.

“I spent a lot of time with Matty. I still talk to him a lot to this day … so rocked a little bit,” he said.

“Hopefully, a speedy recovery.”