A group of Victorian women’s football players now have a path to play in 2026, ending a 15-month saga since they defected from their former side.
The women who left the Kyneton Football Netball Club in 2024 had been blocked from joining a league as the Kyneton Women’s Football Club.Â
Today the Riddell District Football Netball League (RDFNL) confirmed it would not appeal the players’ application to join the Central Victorian Football League (CVFL) under a new name, the Wedge-Tailed Eagles Football Club.
The RDFNL had previously appealed the move due to the club’s use of Kyneton in its name.
It also acknowledged the club’s nomination of Woodend Racecourse Reserve as a home venue.
Natalie Korinfsky, Wedge-Tailed Eagles club president, said the overwhelming feeling for players was relief.Â
“We are really happy that we’ve got a good result and one that sees our club able to stand out on our own,” she said.
“Our players, who are all really close, get to play together which is all they ever really wanted.”
The players had merged with another club to take the field in the Essendon District Football League in 2025.Â
The CVFL said in a statement it was “delighted” to accept the club in 2026 and beyond.Â
“We believe their inclusion reflects the CVFL’s commitment to fostering growth, inclusivity, and opportunity across all levels of community football,” the statement said.

Members of the Wedge-Tailed Eagles at a training session. (Supplied: Sophie McLeod)
A spokesperson for AFL Victoria said it waived the deadline for the club to apply again to the CVFL under a new name, and confirmed its application had been accepted.Â
“The new application addressed key factors outlined in the AFL Victoria Appeal decision and followed the new club application process under the AFL Victoria Community Affiliate Regulations,” the spokesperson said.
League vice-president resigns
Meanwhile the RDFNL board has confirmed its vice-president Andrew Power has resigned effective immediately due to comments he made on social media.Â
The board said the league became aware of the comments on Monday.
“Following a brief review, Andrew Power and the RDFNL mutually agreed that his personal views are not aligned with the values of the league, its board and staff,” the board said.Â
“The RDFNL does not condone or support the behaviour reflected in those comments and apologises for any distress caused to members of our community.”
Mr Power has been contacted for comment.
The ABC has seen messages and comments directed at Ms Korinfsky by Mr Power.Â
Ms Korinfsky said it had been a “really difficult” 15 months.Â
“We’ve seen some pretty poor behaviour occur in that time and we just hope that AFL Victoria takes it really seriously,” she said.Â
“These leagues are entrusted to support and take care of clubs and players and we just want to make sure they’re doing the right thing by everyone.”Â