A man has been charged after allegedly ramming the gates of Brisbane’s largest synagogue with a car overnight.

Police were called on Friday night after a black ute allegedly struck and knocked down the gates of the Brisbane Synagogue on Margaret Street in the CBD about 7:15pm, before leaving the scene.

No-one was injured.

Acting superintendent Michael Hogan said police responded quickly and tracked the vehicle with the assistance of Polair.

A police officer speaking at a press conference

Superintendent Michael Hogan says the incident is not being treated as a potential terrorist act. (ABC News: Tara Cassidy)

Superintendent Hogan said after allegedly ramming the gates and leaving the scene, the man was tracked heading back towards the synagogue.

Police located the car a short time later and took a 32-year-old man into custody.

Not being treated as terrorist incident

Superintendent Hogan said police do not believe the man was trying to injure anyone. 

“It’s very clear that he’s intended to do some damage to the gates,” he said.

“There’s certainly no indication … that he attempted to enter the synagogue at all.”

He said the incident was not being treated as a terrorism offence. 

“This is a criminal investigation. Police are considering the man’s mental health and intoxication as being contributing factors,” Superintendent Hogan said. 

A sign reading 'no entry' on the gate of a synagogue

Workers have been called in to fix the gate, with the synagogue closed until further notice. (ABC News: Tara Cassidy)

It is believed the man was acting alone.

He has been charged with wilful damage serious vilification or hate crime, dangerous operation of a vehicle, and drug offences.

He appeared in Brisbane Magistrates Court this morning.

Anyone with relevant information or video footage has been urged to contact police.

‘Very distressing’

Vice president of the Queensland Jewish Board of Deputies Libby Burke said the community was “deeply distressed” that the synagogue had been targeted.

“This attack is not only an attack on my community, it is an attack on all of us,” she said.

“A synagogue is a sacred place, a place of prayer, reflection, and community.

“To see its gates viciously rammed is profoundly devastating and is not dissimilar to what we have seen throughout the globe, vehicles used as weapons to kill and harm Jews.”

A woman in a blue dress and glasses reading a statement at a police press conference

Libby Burke says the incident is “deeply distressing” to the Jewish community. (ABC News)

She said the community was “extraordinarily grateful” to the Queensland Police Service for its “prompt action” and support.

“Our elderly, our children, basically all Jews in Queensland should be able to attend synagogue and live our lives free from fear,” she said.

In a statement posted to social media, Premier David Crisafulli said he had spoken with police about the “very concerning” incident.

“This will be very distressing for the Jewish community in Queensland,” Mr Crisafulli said.

Religious and union groups worry about ban on certain phrases

Religious groups are among those expressing concern about a push to ban the use of certain phrases in Queensland. 

“I have spoken to Jewish leaders, as well as police, and I want to assure Queenslanders we are taking this seriously.”

He said the alleged incident was “another signal” that proposed hate laws before parliament were necessary.

“We are going through the process and I fully intend to have them passed during the next sitting of Parliament,” he said.

Opposition leader Steven Miles said he was “deeply troubled” to hear of the incident.

“Queensland’s Jewish community should always feel safe and respected, especially in a place of worship,” he said.

“There is no place for hate or intimidation in Queensland.”