In his 1500th PGA Tour round, Adam Scott has threatened to break the course record as he shot up to outright fourth place at the halfway mark of the PGA Tour’s Genesis Invitational in the United States.

Three shots behind co-leaders Jacob Bridgeman and Marco Penge, Scott (eight-under 63) performed a masterclass on the golf course and is now in contention to claim his first title since 2020 as he looks to win the tournament for a third time – he previously won it in 2005 and 2020.

Meanwhile, fellow Australian Min Woo Lee was equally impressive at the prestigious tournament in Los Angeles.

FOX SPORTS, available on Kayo Sports, is streaming The 2026 PGA Tour LIVE & Exclusive | New to Kayo? Join now and get your first month for just $1.

After being named joint runner-up last week at Pebble Beach, the cult hero continued his fine form and finished with six-under-par 65 as he prepares for the weekend.

Marco Penge and Jacob Bridgeman fired impressive seven-under par 64s on Friday to share the US PGA Tour Genesis Invitational halfway lead, one stroke in front of world number two Rory McIlroy.

England’s Penge posted seven birdies without a bogey on the way to a 12-under par total of 130 at Riviera Country Club, where Bridgeman birdied the last three holes to join him.

Northern Ireland star McIlroy, who completed his career Grand Slam with a Masters victory last year, was snapping at their heels after a six-under par 65 that featured an eagle and four birdies.

Meanwhile world number one Scottie Scheffler made the cut by the skin of his teeth to push his streak of cuts made to 68 — the longest active streak on the PGA Tour.

“I think my driving has been kind of the way I normally drive the ball. It’s definitely the best part of my game by far,” said Penge, a 27-year-old from England who won three times on the DP World Tour last year to head the group of 10 players from the circuit who secured dual membership on the US tour this year.

“But the way I putted, you know, especially inside 10 feet, and my pace behind it has been really on point.” Penge, Bridgeman and McIlroy were among the four players who emerged from the weather-hit first round sharing the lead on five-under. McIlroy and Bridgeman finished their rounds on Thursday, while Penge and Aaron Rai had to pull double-duty on Friday.

“I think I just managed it really well today,” said Penge, who birdied the first and sixth before five birdies on the back nine, starting with a 22-foot birdie putt at the 12th.

Marco Penge fired seven-under par 64s on Friday.Source: AP

He got up and down from a greenside bunker for birdie at 17, and even after the long day wasn’t feeling tired.

“I think when you’re playing well and kind of up at the top of the leaderboard, I think you can kind of keep going,” he said.

Bridgeman, chasing his first tour title, opened with a 34-foot eagle putt at the first and added seven birdies the rest of the way. That included a three-birdie burst at nine, 10 and 11 and, after a bogey at 12, birdies at 16, 17 and 18.

“I’m excited,” said Bridgeman, who finished tied for eighth at Pebble Beach last week. “I’m excited to be back in the hunt trying to get a win.”

McIlroy, whose Pebble Beach bid was doomed by a raft of mistakes, was delighted to post a bogey-free round.

“No bogeys is always nice,” McIlroy said. “Making one bogey through the first 36 holes compared to the big numbers I had last week … Tidied everything up, which is good.”

“Overall really pleased with the day and excited for the weekend.”

Rory McIlroy was pleased with the day’s play.Source: Getty Images

Scheffler was less pleased with his work so far but certainly pumped to be heading into the weekend after drilling a seven-foot par-saving putt on 18 to make the cut without a stroke to spare.

“I tried to make a mess of a pretty basic chip there on 18,” Scheffler said. “So it was nice to be able to hole a putt and get another two cracks at the course.” Scheffler carded a three-under 68 for an even par total and now hasn’t missed a cut since August 2022.

However, since marching to a season-opening win at La Quinta last month the four-time major-winner has had to battle to keep his streak alive.

His three-over par first round at Riviera marked the third straight event in which he was over par through 18 holes.