Magic guard Jalen Suggs will serve as a coach at the inaugural men’s Basketball Without Borders “Next Up” camp that will be held Aug. 26-29 in Istanbul, Turkey, the NBA announced Wednesday.
The camp will bring together 80 of the top male, high-school-age prospects from around the world to “participate in athletic testing, movement efficiency, skill development stations, 3-on-3 competitions, life-skills seminars, and 5-on-5 games under the guidance of current and former NBA and FIBA players and coaches,” according to the league.
Suggs, who previously coached at a Basketball Without Borders camp in Johannesburg, South Africa in 2023, will be joined by Cleveland Cavaliers head coach Kenny Atkinson, NBA legend Vlade Divac, former NBA player Danilo Gallinari, Clippers center Brook Lopez, and Washington Wizards forward Khris Middleton in Turkey.
Basketball Without Borders is the NBA and FIBA’s global basketball development and community outreach program. This year marks the 25th anniversary of the organization.
“As Basketball Without Borders celebrates its 25th anniversary, the launch of BWB Next Up marks an exciting new chapter in our commitment to developing the next generation of basketball talent,” George Aivazoglou, the NBA managing director for Europe & the Middle East, said in a statement. “Turkey has long been one of Europe’s leading basketball markets with a rich tradition, passionate fans and a proven track record of producing elite players.
“Bringing BWB Next Up to Istanbul reflects both the importance of Turkey within the European basketball landscape and the strong momentum we continue to see for the game across the country,” Aivazoglou added.
This year also marks the third time Basketball Without Borders will be held in Istanbul after BWB Europe took place there in 2002 and 2008. The inaugural Women’s BWB “Next Up” camp will take place in fall, and the top-performing players from both camps will be selected to participate in BWB All-Star camps at the upcoming NBA and WNBA All-Star events.
More than 50 former BWB campers were among the record 135 international players on opening-night NBA rosters last season, including NBA All-Stars Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Deni Avdija, Jamal Murray and Pascal Siakam, according to the league. The program has reached more than 4,900 participants from 149 countries and territories since 2001, with 155 former campers advancing to the NBA or WNBA, the league said.
“Turkish basketball’s growing presence on the international stage is driven not only by our achievements on the court, but also by the world-class events we are proud to host,” Turkish Basketball Federation President and former Magic star Hedo Turkoglu said in a statement. “We are delighted to welcome the 25th anniversary of Basketball Without Borders, jointly organized by the NBA and FIBA and taking place at the Turkcell Basketball Development Center in Istanbul.
“Bringing together some of the world’s most talented young players alongside NBA players, coaches and basketball experts, this prestigious camp will provide a unique opportunity for learning, development and cultural exchange,” Turkoglu added.
Jason Beede can be reached at jbeede@orlandosentinel.com