09:00, january 13Author: Asia-Plus

A Tajik mixed martial arts (MMA) fighter, Muhammadali Sadulloyev, was killed during a fight between a group of teenagers in southern the city of Kulob, Khatlon province. Two other participants were injured and have been hospitalized.

The incident occurred on the evening of January 11 at around 8:00 p.m. in a computer gaming center. Speaking to Asia-Plus, the athlete’s coach, Kamol Valiyev, said the conflict began as a verbal dispute and escalated into a physical altercation.

“During the fight, one of the teenagers stabbed Muhammadali in the area of the heart. He died at the scene before reaching the hospital. The knife penetrated approximately 12 centimeters,” Valiyev said.

Sadulloyev’s funeral took place on January 12 after the midday prayer in Kulob’s 10th neighborhood unit.

According to his coach, the boy’s father returned to Tajikistan from Russia the same day after learning of his son’s death.

Kulob city authorities confirmed the teenager’s death and said two other individuals were injured and remain in hospital. Officials did not specify how many people were detained in connection with the incident.

Law enforcement agencies have yet to issue an official statement. The Interior Ministry’s department in Khatlon Region said details would be provided later.

Meanwhile, Radio Liberty’s Tajik Service, known locally as Radio Ozodi, reported that criminal proceedings have been instituted  on charges of “intentional infliction of grievous bodily harm” and “hooliganism.” According to the outlet, two suspects have been arrested and the investigation is ongoing.

A video of the fight, which surfaced on social media and quickly drew public attention, shows at least seven teenagers involved in the altercation and captures the moment when Sadulloyev is stabbed and collapses.

In 2024, Muhammadali Sadulloyev reportedly won the world championship in mixed martial arts and also became Tajikistan’s national champion. According to his passport, he was born in 2010, although some sources list his year of birth as 2007.

Observers note that this is not the first fatal incident involving minors in group clashes. In November last year, a similar conflict among teenagers in Dushanbe resulted in one death and serious injuries to another individual. Authorities at the time said the dispute had begun over verbal disagreements on social media.