Nobody was reported hurt but an investigation is under way after heavy equipment toppled over at a Yellowknife construction site on Friday afternoon.
In a statement, the City of Yellowknife said a “piece of lifting equipment destabilized while lifting and fell on its side” at the intersection of School Draw Avenue and 50 Avenue, where a new lift station is being built.
The incident took place at approximately 1pm, the city said. While no injuries were reported according to the city, emergency responders and RCMP attended the scene.
“The incident is being classified as severe and the contractor is taking all appropriate steps in reporting the incident and conducting a thorough investigation,” director of public works Chris Greencorn told Cabin Radio by email.
“That’s all the information that is available at this time.”
Earlier this month, the city said work coming up at the site included formwork, steel reinforcement and concrete pours related to the new lift station’s foundation.
Greencorn has previously said lift station one – the one being replaced through this work – is “the second most important” in the city’s sewage distribution system, and a new facility is needed to meet the needs of residents into the future.
When it started, the project was expected to take around three years to complete and cost $38 million. The federal government has pledged to pay 75 percent of that cost.
Related Articles

