In the wake of their splashiest move of the offseason, the New York Mets are eyeing a versatile outfielder who can handle center field and support the corner spots, people familiar with their plans said.

Cody Bellinger, the best free-agent position player available, fits such a description. The Mets still hold interest in signing Bellinger, league sources said. However, it is likely that after agreeing to a three-year deal worth $126 million with Bo Bichette on Friday, per league sources, their preference with Bellinger would be to acquire him in another short-term arrangement. Bellinger’s appetite for such a deal is unknown. The New York Yankees’ offers feature more years. For the Mets, Bellinger represents just one of several possibilities, albeit one on the higher end of price and potential impact.

Other names worth watching include Harrison Bader (free agent), Lars Nootbar (St. Louis Cardinals), Jake Meyers (Houston Astros) and Luis Robert Jr. (Chicago White Sox), league sources said. It is possible that the Mets’ list isn’t limited to those names. In theory, Jarren Duran could be another option, but rival executives aren’t fully convinced the Boston Red Sox end up trading him.

The Mets remain in serious need of adding to their outfield. Their 40-man roster includes only three outfielders, one of whom is a prospect, Nick Morabito, who has never played above Double A. David Stearns, president of baseball operations, has said throughout the winter that top prospect Carson Benge would come to camp with a chance to win an everyday job in the outfield. The Mets’ other two outfielders are Tyrone Taylor, a right-handed batter coming off a down season offensively, yet capable of excellent defense in all three spots, and star right fielder Juan Soto.

Since the Toronto Blue Jays issued Bichette a qualifying offer, the Mets are set to lose their second- and fifth-highest selections in this year’s draft plus $1 million from their international bonus pool for the upcoming signing period.

If the Mets sign another player with a qualifying offer attached to him, they would forfeit their third- and sixth-highest picks as well. The free agents available with qualifying offers are both starting pitchers: Framber Valdez and Zac Gallen.

Losing two more draft picks is a deterrent, but it won’t necessarily stop the Mets from making a deal, people familiar with their thinking said. It is simply a matter of the financial cost, in addition to the draft picks.

The Mets are still expected to add pitching, based on conversations with league sources. They are exploring both free agents and trade possibilities. One trade target is Freddy Peralta (Milwaukee Brewers). Other possibilities include Kris Bubic (Kansas City Royals) and MacKenzie Gore (Washington Nationals), though both are considered long shots for the Mets.

The Mets’ rotation projects as something along the lines of Nolan McLean, Clay Holmes, Sean Manaea, David Peterson and Kodai Senga, with Brandon Sproat, Jonah Tong and Christian Scott lingering as possibilities. Last year, the Mets’ rotation (among other things) let them down. Heading into 2026, FanGraphs’ Depth Charts’ WAR projections suggest the unit belongs in the middle of the pack.

The Mets hold plenty of in-house options to start games. There is also some upside. But they prefer to add quality.

With Bichette ticketed for third base, the Mets want Brett Baty to perform the utility role that they formerly envisioned for Jeff McNeil, league sources said.

A left-handed batter like McNeil (whom the Mets dealt to the Athletics last month), Baty split time last season between third base (87 appearances) and second base (57 appearances). The Mets like his improved bat in the major leagues; he hit 18 home runs with a 111 OPS+. They also appreciate his defense. Metrics like outs above average suggest he was playable at second base and good at third base, his primary position. In 2021 and 2022, while in the minor leagues, he made a combined 29 starts in left field. Mets officials believe he can also handle some first base.

No one questions Baty’s work ethic or ability to adapt. Last year, he took to playing second base, an entirely new position for him. Last week, he made a 90-minute, one-way drive to work out with second baseman Marcus Semien and prospect Jett Williams (fellow Texas residents). New Mets bench coach and infield guru Kai Correa set up the workout with Semien offering advice. Among the trio of players at various stages of their respective careers, Baty was the newly established big leaguer.

Marcus Semien, Brett Baty, and Jett Williams are working out together in Texas

(via IG/jett_williams004) pic.twitter.com/ge1fC3duBg

— SNY Mets (@SNY_Mets) January 13, 2026

The Mets still view Baty as a valuable piece of their roster. Of course, if the Mets are looking for a more established outfielder or a starting pitcher, Baty would represent a helpful trade chip. But between the designated hitter spot and Baty’s ability to play multiple positions, there could be a path for plenty of at-bats. Baty is also under club control for four seasons. For any potential trade involving Baty, expect the Mets to hold a high bar.