The Last Drop – and its sister site The First Drop – opening in Cobh this year

17:34, 08 Feb 2026Updated 19:39, 08 Feb 2026

Quays Bar and Restaurant in Cobh

Quays Bar and Restaurant in Cobh

It’s exciting news for one East Cork town as locals can expect two stylish new food and drink spots this year – including one that’s completely revamping a high-profile dining location on the waterfront. Both projects are being undertaken by husband and wife Garry and Anne Wilson, who have already pumped millions into restoring the town’s historic Belvelly Castle and turning it into a modern home. Speaking to Cork Beo, they said they hope their new openings will become go-to spots for locals and tourists alike.

And we won’t have to wait long to see their first location up and running, as works are already underway to transform and breathe new life into The Quays Bar and Restaurant overlooking Cork Harbour. This well-known establishment was previously up for sale for €5m – making it the most expensive bar in Ireland at one stage – but this pricetag was slashed a number of times over the years. Garry and Anne finally purchased the property on Friday and it is now temporarily closed as crews carry out a speedy refurb of the gastropub’s bar area. It will open again under a new name, ‘The Last Drop’, ahead of St. Patrick’s Day.

Quays Bar and Restaurant in Cobh

Quays Bar and Restaurant in Cobh

Garry told Cork Beo he thought the establishment had “amazing potential”, and is looking to host gigs and performances for ‘all things Irish culture’ there in future. He said: “Irish music and dancing, trad music will be at the heart of what we’re trying to achieve, we’re trying to bring that to the fore. It will be a great showcase of local talent and great local food. We want to give Cobh something new, want to give visitors to Cobh an amazing experience of Irish hospitality.”

When the gastropub reopens this March, regulars at The Quays can expect a whole new bar area, with a new paint job in the restaurant and fresh furniture for the indoor and outdoor dining areas. The Last Drop will close again in Q4 of this year for roughly another six weeks so crews can finish refurbishing the restaurant area.

But that’s not all Cobh locals have to look forward to this year. Garry and Anne will also be launching a sister site to The Last Drop – called The First Drop – at the location of a former Bank of Ireland building in Cobh. The old bank is a Protected Structure on Cobh’s main promenade at Casement Square which had been vacant for years – but it will reopen as a café and wine bar in early May.

It should make a wonderful new addition to the town – serving as a great spot for quality cuppas in the afternoon, and for a lovely few drinks after work in the evening. The old bank property is a three-bay four-storey former house dating back to the 1850s, and it is on a curved terrace of townhouses.

The old Bank of Ireland at Westbourne Place, Cobh(Image: Google)

Garry said they are both very excited and look forward to launching both establishments soon. He added: “I first started the Belvelly Castle project in Cobh back in 2016. Over the last ten years, there’s been amazing improvement here – I think the potential for Cobh is off the charts.”

The new sister locations are exciting developments for East Cork – but that’s not the only area getting new food and drink options this year. Works are currently underway to breathe new life into the old Electric Bar in Cork city, which is expected to open this spring/summer. The location is getting a full remodelling of the interior, and crews have been seen working on platforms over the Lee in recent weeks to add a picture window on the building’s south-facing side