An Irishman living in the United States for more than 20 years who has been detained by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (Ice) since last September has described the experience as “a torture” in a new interview.
“I don’t know how much more I can take,” Seamus Culleton said, calling for Taoiseach Micheál Martin to raise his case with US president Donald Trump during his forthcoming visit.
Originally from Glenmore, Co Kilkenny, he is married to a US citizen and owns a plastering business in the Boston area. He was arrested on September 9th, 2025, and has been in an Ice detention facility in Texas for nearly five months, despite having no criminal record, “not even a parking ticket”.
His case was reported by The Irish Times on Monday morning. He spoke again about his situation on RTÉ Radio 1’s Liveline programme.
[ ‘Absolute hell’: Irishman with valid US work permit held by Ice since SeptemberOpens in new window ]
“It’s just a horrible, horrible, horrible place,” he said of his detention camp.
“I’m not in fear of the other inmates. I’m afraid of the staff. They’re capable of anything.”
People had been advising him to stay positive but it was “very tough,” he said.
“I try my best. I talk to my wife every day, she’s my rock. I talk to my mother and sister most days. They’re all rooting for me, I know that.”
Asked what his message to Irish politicians would be, he said: “Just try to get me out of here and do all you can please. It’s an absolute torture, psychological and physical torture. I just want to get back to my wife. We’re so desperate to start a family”.
“I’d be so grateful if we could just end this. I’ve been detained now for five months. It’s just a torture, I don’t know how much more I can take,” he said, as his voice broke on the line.
He would like the Taoiseach to bring up his release on his upcoming St Patrick’s Day visit to meet Trump in Washington, he said.
The Department of Foreign Affairs confirmed that it was aware of the case and had been providing “consular assistance” through the Irish consulate in Austin, Texas.
“Our Embassy in Washington DC is also engaging directly with the Department of Homeland Security at a senior level in relation to this case,” a spokeswoman said.
A Government spokesman said that the Taoiseach had been briefed today about the case and reiterated the Department of Foreign Affairs’ statement about the efforts being made at a national level on the case.
However, officials who spoke on condition of anonymity said that the Government would not be able to influence the legal processes in the US, but would continue to offer whatever assistance they could
The Kilkenny TD John McGuinness said that he had asked the Taoiseach to intervene in the case.
“I’ll be asking for an immediate response in terms of contacting the White House,” he said. He said that the consulate in Austin was doing all they can, “but it’s really at a higher level that we need an intervention now.”
“Action is required now,” he said.
Culleton’s sister Caroline said she wants “action now” on her brother’s case.
“We had got to the point where we had to go public on it,” she said. “I’m really hoping that I can get him to walk out those gates and get on with his life.”
She said on Monday evening that she had had no contact from Irish Government officials as yet.
She hopes that media coverage and public support is going to give her brother “a bit of a boost” and “a little bit of reassurance” that his family is doing all they can. It has been an overwhelming period for the family.
“It’s been devastating,” Caroline says. “At the start, you get that initial shock and you think to yourself, ‘What in the name of God?’. Then it becomes more real and it becomes harder.
“To hear what he’s going through in there. To be so useless here. You can’t go over there because you’re not guaranteed visitation rights.”
Seamus has had access to a phone in the detention facility, and he has been calling his mother, who is home in Ireland, every day. He and Caroline have also been in regular contact.
Last night, for the first time since the beginning of the ordeal, Seamus’ wife Tiffany was able to video call her husband. “He’d lost a lot of weight,” Caroline said. “His physical demeanour. He looks totally different.
“I just hope he’s okay and that this doesn’t scar him for the rest of his life.”