The budget airline will discontinue the services in April as part of wider European network review
Ryanair has cut two major routes this summer (Image: Getty Images)
Holidaymakers planning a summer 2026 break might want to review their travel arrangements. Ryanair is implementing another restructure, with two routes connecting Ireland to a well-liked Baltic location set to be axed.
The low-cost carrier is currently undertaking a broader European network assessment – and two established connections between Ireland and Lithuania feature amongst the most recent cancellations.
Over the next few weeks, Ryanair will terminate its service between Dublin and Palanga, along with its route connecting Belfast and Kaunas.
Palanga is an attractive coastal resort town recognised for its 18km expanse of sandy beaches and has emerged as a favoured option for holidaymakers seeking an alternative to a conventional Mediterranean break.
Meanwhile, Kaunas ranks among Lithuania’s major cities and represents a popular weekend urban escape destination, reports the Irish Mirror.
Lithuania’s airport authority has confirmed the services will cease in April before the busy summer period. Lithuanian Airports spokesperson Vitalija Roce informed LRT: “As Ryanair has communicated, it is carrying out a network review and reassessing flights from European airports, which affects both regional and large airports. There have been quite a few changes at various European airports.”

Kaunas in Lithuania(Image: Getty Images)
She offered some comfort to passengers by adding: “However, they are increasing frequencies on other routes from Vilnius, Kaunas and Palanga.”
Dublin will maintain its connection to Lithuania via direct flights to Kaunas and Vilnius, however once the Kaunas – Belfast service ceases, no direct flights will operate between Lithuania and Belfast.
Ryanair has been cutting routes throughout Europe due to increasing airport fees, aviation levies and operational expenses. The airline also recently informed Cork Beo that its year-round flights to Poznan and Gdansk in Poland will be withdrawn from Cork Airport’s timetable.
Services to both destinations currently operate twice weekly and will carry on doing so until their final departures on March 26 and March 28 respectively.
This follows Ryanair relocating one of its four Cork-based aircraft to Shannon for the winter period.
Speaking last July, Michael O’Leary said he hopes to bring a fourth aircraft back to Cork for summer 2026. He said: “Shannon Airport has lower costs than Cork. I think we’ll be able to put the fourth aircraft back into Cork next summer. Both Shannon Airport and Cork Airport have grown strongly in the last year or two.”
Meanwhile, flights to Poznan are scheduled to start in Shannon Airport on March 31, mere days following the route’s final departure from Cork.
Passengers wanting to fly directly to Gdansk will need to depart from Dublin, where five weekly services to the Polish destination currently operate.
Want to see more of the stories you love from Dublin Live? Making us your preferred source on Google means you’ll get more of our exclusives, top stories and must-read content straight away. To add Dublin Live as a preferred source, simply click here.