The case will come back before the court on Friday
Michael Flatley (left) leaving Belfast High Court, after a legal order blocking him from engaging with the Lord of the Dance production has been overturned(Image: Liam McBurney/PA Wire)
Lord of the Dance star Michael Flatley is embroiled in another legal battle in the High Court – this time with his former solicitor.
The entertainer is seeking to compel Maxwell Mooney and Company solicitors to hand over the files relating to proceedings about and linked to his Cork mansion Castlehyde in Fermoy.
The legal row has erupted amid allegations on both sides about legal fees and an alleged hold on files.
Mr Flatley’s new legal team, Niall Buckley SC with Katie Nagle BL, instructed by Barry Creed solicitor in an ex parte application to the High Court this afternoon were granted short service to serve notice of the proceedings on Mr Mooney.
The case where the Flatley side are seeking that Mr Mooney be directed to produce or deliver the client files in respect of all legal services provided to Mr Flatley will be heard by the High Court on Friday.

Michael Flatley outside Belfast High Court. (Image: Liam McBurney/PA Wire)
The Flatley side are also seeking an order compelling Mr Mooney with an office at Maynooth, Co Kildare, to provide a copy of the Flatley client account.
Granting the short service in the ex parte application where only the Flatley side were represented, the president of the High Court, Mr Justice David Barniville said there appeared to be a clear dispute between the parties. He also noted that Mr Flatley’s appeal against a €1.1million security for costs order made against him in his €30million court action over works carried out at his Cork mansion had to be adjourned because his new legal team allegedly did not have discovery documentation.
In an affidavit to the High Court to ground his application the entertainer said it was not correct that invoices relating to legal fees have not been paid to Mr Mooney. Mr Flatley said he could confirm the payments set out in the affidavit of his new solicitor Barry Creed of Creed McStay solicitors, which stipulated that a total of €487,837 had been paid by Mr Flatley or on his behalf between May 2022 and August 2025. Mr Creed stated that it was unclear whether €290,000 had been applied as fees or whether they remain held on account.
Sign up to our new Crime Ireland newsletter and get exclusive content from Michael O’Toole and Paul Healy
The Irish Mirror’s Crime Writers Michael O’Toole and Paul Healy are writing a new weekly newsletter called Crime Ireland. Click here to sign up and get it delivered to your inbox every week
Mr Flatley also alleged in the document before the court that there was an alleged failure to provide all client account information which he claimed he requested three months ago. This, Mr Flatley alleges is impeding the orderly progression of his litigation.
Mr Flatley in the affidavit said in July last year, he was concerned about how his proceedings were being managed “and in particular the many negative headlines which were published about me.”
“At all time I was informed that matters were progressing positively however, the media depicted a very different picture,” he claimed.
He said Creed McStay solicitors now represent him in the two proceedings before the court including his €30million action over works carried out at his Cork mansion. He said he believes and has been advised “that I am at a substantive disadvantage and prejudiced in the proper progression of those proceedings.”
In an affidavit solicitor Barry Creed said a notice of a change of solicitors was filed on December 10, 2025. Mr Creed said extensive correspondence was exchanged with Mr Mooney and Mr Mooney wrote that his office were “exercising a general lien” over all files and papers relating to Mr Flatley until “we and counsel are paid in full.”
The case will come back before the court on Friday.
Subscribe to our newsletter for the latest news from the Irish Mirror direct to your inbox: Sign up here.