Universal International Studios has confirmed it will close Matchbox Pictures after nearly 20 years of operations, effectively terminating one of Australia’s most stable connections to the global market.
From the suburban tension of The Slap to the global Netflix dominance of The Survivors, Matchbox served as a sturdy bridge between distinctive Australian storytelling and the glossy boardrooms of Hollywood.
Universal’s withdrawal from an on-the-ground presence in Australia came as a shock to the local screen industry, given the Australian company, co-founded by Tony Ayres and Penny Chapman 18 years ago, had delivered the most successful Australian-made TV drama on Netflix for 2025, with The Survivors achieving a global audience of 28 million.
Another two Matchbox productions, Safe Harbour and Nowhere Boys, won international Emmys, and the Cate Blanchett co-production Stateless won a record-breaking 13 Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts (AACTA) awards from 18 nominations, including best telefeature or miniseries, best screenplay and best direction in television.
The Hollywood studio has removed its permanent overheads – physical offices in Sydney and Melbourne, and a staff of more than 60 creatives – and moved to a model where it will only invest in a project once it is active.
In a statement provided to screen industry publications, Universal said it had made its decision “following an extensive evaluation of the business and the broader production landscape”.
It said Universal International Studios maintained its commitment to Australia.
“But as strategic priorities shift the studio is evolving its operating model in the region. Moving forward the company will evaluate production opportunities and engage with local producers and talent on a case-by-case basis as new projects emerge.”
Matchbox’s most recent project, the drama/comedy Dog Park, debuted on the ABC earlier this month and scored a four-star review in Guardian Australia. The sudden departure by the Hollywood heavyweight casts doubt on the possibility of a second season.
Ayres, one of Australian television’s most lauded writers and producers, stepped back from Matchbox in 2018 to concentrate on a new Universal-backed company, Tony Ayres Productions, positioned to create content for high-end international distribution.
The statement released by Universal on Tuesday said Tony Ayres Productions would also cease operations.
A spokesperson for Ayres said he would not comment on the decision.
A brief statement from Matchbox’s managing director, Alastair McKinnon, recognised the company’s contribution to the Australian film and television landscape.
Screen Producers Australia said Matchbox had played a significant role in shaping the contemporary Australian screen industry.
“Over nearly two decades, Matchbox helped redefine what Australian television and film could be – ambitious, internationally confident and unapologetically local in voice,” SPA’s chief executive, Matthew Deaner, said in a statement.
“Many writers, producers and craftspeople built careers through its productions, and its legacy will continue through the people and projects it nurtured. Matchbox helped demonstrate that Australian stories could resonate far beyond our borders, and that contribution will endure across the industry.”
Australia’s peak screenwriting body, the Australia Writers’ Guild, said Matchbox had valued the expertise of the writer and employed many of Australia’s best writers over the past 18 years.
“Its loss will be keenly felt across the industry,” said the AWG’s chief executive, Claire Pullen.
“Its closure is a sad reminder that our industry can’t rely on the whims of international studios to keep us afloat, and that we must be looking at solutions to maintain a robust and distinctly Australian screen sector.
“We have the talent within Australia to create internationally renowned drama, so it’s vital we nurture that at home.”