
Monday, 9 February 2026, 9:22 pm
Article: RNZ
The Cook Islands has reported the
first dengue fever-related death of the current
outbreak.
The health ministry said an elderly patient
with underlying conditions died in hospital on 2
February.
Health authorities have launched
Operation-Namu-26, increasing block spraying on affected
islands.
An incident management team was convened on
29 January following a significant increase in dengue cases
on Rarotonga at the end of December, and again at the end of
January 2026, as well as the detection of dengue cases on
Aitutaki, Atiu, Mauke and Mangaia.
Health secretary
Bob Williams said the elderly patient presented late to
hospital.
Williams encouraged everyone to seek urgent
medical attention immediately if they experience flu-like
symptoms, headache, joint or muscle pain, or rash, so that
timely care can be provided.
He said since the
outbreak was declared on 22 May 2025, a total of 40 dengue
patients had been admitted to hospital and, prior to this
case, all had recovered.
The Health Ministry said Cook
Islands Red Cross will work with it to distribute dengue
prevention packs to families with positive dengue cases on
both Rarotonga and the Pa Enua.
At the airport,
repellent spraying stations have been established at the
international arrivals area and the domestic departures
area, and temperature screening for international arrivals
has been intensified.
Advertisement – scroll to continue reading
A senior health protection
officer told RNZ Pacific that New Zealand has reported 40
suspected cases of dengue fever in visitors returning from
the Cook Islands.
Te Marae Ora said joint
communications by Cook Islands Tourism and Te Marae Ora have
been strengthened as the national response moves from
general dengue awareness messaging to more visible and
proactive prevention activities for residents and
visitors.
“Messaging also re-emphasises that the Cook
Islands remains a safe destination for travellers,” the
ministry said.
The New Zealand government has warned
travellers to be on alert for dengue fever with cases on
the rise in the Pacific.
It advises travellers to
countries where mosquito-borne illnesses are able to spread
to use insect repellent, wear protective clothing, and stay
in lodgings where there are mosquito screens on windows and
doors.
New Zealand’s public broadcaster, providing comprehensive NZ news and current affairs, specialist audio features and documentaries.
Radio New Zealand is a Crown entity established under the Radio New Zealand Act 1995. Radio New Zealand News are vital elements in our programming, providing impartial news and information to New Zealanders every day. Radio New Zealand (RNZ) provides listeners with exciting and independent radio programmes in accordance with the Radio New Zealand Charter.
Â