However, the Mount’s Hot Spot Superette owner, Saedanwar Rajput, said the amount he received from the fund was “very small” compared to his tens of thousands of dollars of lost income.
Rajut said his insurer only paid 10% of the losses because the landslide did not physically damage the shop.
“My expectation is Tauranga City Council should help the businesses around the mountain more. It’s what we deserve after all we have lost, which goes way beyond just the 15 days we were closed.”
He said it was not just Adams Ave businesses hurting. More than a dozen operators around the corner on Marine Parade also relied on a bumper summer to survive the winter slump.
“I also think the Government needs to urgently step in with more funding as it’s going to be a very slow and painful recovery, the longer Mauao, the hot pools and campground remain closed.”
Rustica Italian Food pizzeria owner Michele Delaini. Photo / Sandra Conchie and Supplied
Rustica Italian Food owner Michele Delaini reopened on Tuesday, grateful for the “heart‑warming” local support but concerned about the months ahead.
“Summer visitors to Mauao, the hot pools, the campground and cruise‑ship passengers were my main source of income and used to boost my turnover over the summer by 400%,” he said.
“That income helped get me through the slower winter months – and winter has definitely started.”
Delaini said his Mayoral Relief Fund application was still a “work in progress”.
However, any payment would fall far short of what was needed, he said.
“The impact is far greater – it’s the year ahead’s lost income and whether I can keep paying my overheads if lots of international tourists decide not to return because of these closures.”
He doubted the council could shoulder the recovery costs alone.
“We need urgent Government support to give us hope and an incentive to carry on.
“Mount Maunganui is a major tourist destination. If overseas visitors stay away, the domino effect on other businesses across the city and the local economy could be dire.”
Copenhagen Cones head manager Shannon Hope. Photo / Supplied
Copenhagen Cones head manager Shannon Hope earlier said the business was rebuilding after reducing staff from 13 to six, and reducing store opening hours to 10am-5pm.
She urged people to support the business, and help “get the area booming again”.
Tauranga Business Chamber chief executive Matt Cowley. Photo / NZME
Tauranga Business Chamber chief executive Matt Cowley said: “Some businesses need specialist advisory support so they can keep operating and keep as many of their people employed as possible through what is likely to be another quiet winter.
“While there are free resources online, such as cashflow forecasting tools, busy owner-operators would significantly benefit from having an expert guide them through possible scenarios and how to respond.”
Cowley said chamber staff had been connecting with a range of central and local government agencies and partners to gather and share the latest information with impacted businesses.
Tourism Bay of Plenty general manager Oscar Nathan. Supplied photo
Tourism Bay of Plenty general manager Oscar Nathan said the organisation was working with affected businesses and helping with practical steps, including updated Mount Mainstreet marketing flyers for cruise passengers.
There are 12 cruise ships scheduled for the rest of February and another 12 next month.
Mayoral Relief Funds
A Tauranga council spokesman confirmed it was working with several potential relief fund recipients.
A Western Bay of Plenty District Council spokesperson said six applications from small businesses and 15 from residents had been received as of February 13, and the fund included $395 in public donations.
Applications close today.
Tauranga Mayor Mahé Drysdale. Photo / NZME
Tauranga Mayor Mahé Drysdale said most of the fund that had been distributed and/or offered had gone to the businesses that were closed by the cordons.
“We appreciate the sums involved are relatively small compared to the losses sustained.
“However, they do provide an immediate boost to help with expenses through the period the businesses were forced to be closed.”
The council’s business support team and councillors were liaising with businesses.
The council was advocating for central Government support and helping businesses with the application processes for that support.
Associate Minister for Emergency Management and Recovery Chris Penk. Photo / Mark Mitchell
Associate Minister for Emergency Management and Recovery Chris Penk said he recognised the storm had had a “real impact” on business owners and the community.
“We are actively assessing the needs of the community, including local businesses, and the Government is considering what additional support may be appropriate.”
The Regional Business Partner Network was also an existing support option providing on-the-ground advice to businesses navigating difficult circumstances.
“In the region, Tauranga Business Chamber is the designated partner, offering free meetings where businesses can discuss their needs and access resources to develop effective action plans.”
Western Bay Emergency Response funding
Meanwhile, two community organisations are the first to receive Western Bay Emergency Response Fund help.
The fund is a joint initiative between Acorn Foundation, BayTrust, TECT, Tauranga City Council and Western Bay of Plenty District Council to help impacted organisations, marae and charities.
Fund team leader Matty Nicholson said the funding panel allocated $33,919.69 to the Mount Maunganui Lifeguard Service.
The service’s clubhouse at the base of Mauao was declared unsafe to occupy after the landslide.
The Rural Support Trust Bay of Plenty – which supports rural communities during and after adverse events – received $33,500, he said.
More than $200k in pledges, donations
As of February 9, more than $227,000 had been pledged or donated to the fund.
Te Rourou One NZ (One Aotearoa Foundation), Craigs Investment Partners, Holland Beckett Lawyers and several anonymous donors had made significant contributions.
The fund would remain open for the coming months.
Sandra Conchie is a senior journalist at the Bay of Plenty Times and Rotorua Daily Post who has been a journalist for 25 years. She mainly covers police, court and other justice stories, as well as general news. She has been a Canon Media Awards regional/community reporter of the year.