Spark’s Auckland staff moved into the newly constructed Fifty Albert tower last year. Photo / NZ Herald
Slicing 23% of its staff to save more than $50m in labour costs (its 2025 annual report put the telco’s headcount at 4043, a reduction of “approximately 1300 fulltime employees” over 2024).Outsourcing more IT and mobile network work to Nokia and Indian giant Infosys. Tech upgrades, including those involving artificial intelligence (AI), also helped to cut costs.Selling 75% of its data centre business to Private Equity Partners in a deal worth up to $705m (the deal closed on January 30, a month after the first half closed). Spark says the proceeds will allow $2b in upgrades to the data centre operation, in which it now owns a 25% stake.Selling 100% of its celltower passive assets (the physical towers plus land and leases) across two deals.Selling its minority stake in Hutchison Telecommunications Australia for $47m.Announcing a satellite-to-mobile service will launch this year with a US player, widely expected to be Starlink. Elon Musk’s firm is a double-edged sword, given it also competes for home and small business broadband connections. A June 2025 Commerce Commission report said Starlink customers had increased 57% from 37,000 to 58,000 over the past year, accounting for 19% of the rural market and 2% overall. Musk’s firm drew $110m from the New Zealand market last year.Spark confirmed today that its satellite-to-mobile launch would be “in the second half” but had no further details.
Regime change