Mountbatten-Windsor, meanwhile, moved to the Sandringham estate in Norfolk, specifically Wood Farm.
According to multiple reports, 66-year-old Ferguson, who, like her ex-husband, was stripped of her royal titles amid the Jeffrey Epstein scandal, is in the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
Hello! magazine reports that she is “lying low” in the UAE, where she is believed to have been at the time of Andrew’s arrest, which was on his 66th birthday.
The magazine reports that before heading to the UAE, Ferguson “spent a few days with friends in the French Alps”.
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor returns to his home after leaving police custody. Photo / Getty Images
It’s understood the former Duchess of York has also been spending time with her and Andrew’s youngest daughter, Princess Eugenie, 35, who has been in the region for work.
Eugenie was recently seen attending an art fair in Doha, Qatar, as she continues to work as a director at dealer Hauser and Wirth.
The exes also share another daughter, Princess Beatrice, 37. The princesses reportedly have a complex relationship with their scandal-hit father, with Beatrice opting to not see her dad last Christmas.
According to Page Six, should Ferguson return to the UK, she could face questions from the Thames Valley Police. While there is no evidence of any criminal wrongdoing by Ferguson, she found herself in the firing line over her emails with the late financier when the latest batch of Epstein files were released on January 30.
“The police may have a basis for questioning Sarah Ferguson [as] she may be a relevant witness in this case,” a top lawyer told Page Six.
“They may want to ask her some questions. While Sarah Ferguson would not have been in a public office at that time, I don’t know what she knows, and if she has disclosed anything [in emails consistent with her role as an ex-royal and Andrew’s ex-wife].”
Andrew and ex-wife Ferguson lived together at the Royal Lodge in Windsor up until his eviction last month. Photo / Getty Images
Added the insider, “it’s up to police” on what they decide to do “as part of this investigation, they can call upon who they want”.
As widely reported, Ferguson has always defended Mountbatten-Windsor and given him her support, even after he lost his royal title in October.
One person who has not supported Andrew is King Charles, who fully welcomes any investigation brought on to his disgraced brother.
“I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office,” the King’s statement read after news of Andrew’s arrest. “What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities.
“In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation.
“Let me state clearly: the law must take its course. As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter.
“Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all. Charles R.”
Sign up to Herald Premium Editor’s Picks, delivered straight to your inbox every Friday. Editor-in-Chief Murray Kirkness picks the week’s best features, interviews and investigations. Sign up for Herald Premium here.