“The incident, at a residential property on Bevin Place, was reported to police about 2.45pm,” Tabb said.
“Emergency services located three people with injuries ranging from moderate to critical, and they are being transported to hospital.”
Two dogs at the property were being restrained by animal control, Tabb said, and they would be taken from the scene.
“There is no ongoing risk to the public and a scene examination will be carried out. At this time, no further information is available.”
Hato Hone St John told the Herald three people were injured in the attack.
A spokesperson said two people were taken to Christchurch Hospital, one critical and one serious. The third person was treated for minor injuries at the scene.
Three ambulances, two rapid response units and one manager attended, St John said.
Christchurch City Council said its Animal Management Officers responded to the attack and have impounded the dogs.
“Police are leading the investigation, so any further requests should be directed to them,” a council spokesperson said.
Fire and Emergency New Zealand said they assisted St John with a medical incident after it was reported at 2.47pm.
One fire engine from Ilam was in attendance.
‘Disastrous, tragic event’
Fendalton councillor David Cartwright told NZME it was “tragic” to hear of this afternoon’s attack.
“My absolute thoughts go out to everybody involved, the family, and even the first responders having to come and attend to them.
“It’s a disastrous, tragic event,” Cartwright said.
He said to the best of his knowledge, there have not been many dog attacks in Christchurch in recent times.
“Obviously, today’s attack is worrying, but I take heart in that the police say that there’s no further risk to the community,” Cartwright said.
He said the council has a dog bylaw, which is regularly reviewed.
“I will be asking staff to have a look at the current bylaws just to ensure that they are fit for purpose,” he said.
Second serious dog attack in a week
The incident comes after 62-year-old Mihiata Te Rore was killed in an attack that involved three dogs at a Kaihu property on State Highway 12 in Northland on Tuesday.
She was attacked while visiting someone she knew in the Kaipara settlement.
The dogs involved in Tuesday’s fatal mauling will be destroyed, Kaipara District Council confirmed.
Police conduct searches and hold cordons at a property near a dog attack in the Northland settlement of Kaihu. Photo / Jason Dorday
Kaipara District Mayor Jonathan Larsen said the situation earlier this week was “tragic”.
Local Government Minister Simon Watts called the event a tragedy and said his thoughts were with the victim’s family and the wider community.
“Roaming dogs are a serious issue facing many communities across the country, and I share the frustration of those dealing with them,” he told the Herald.
The 62-year-old’s death was the third fatal dog attack in Northland in the past five years.
In August 2022, Neville Thomson died at his house in the Far North town of Panguru. The man who owned the dogs, Abel Wira, was later jailed for three and a half years in New Zealand’s first dog-attack manslaughter conviction.
In October 2023, Elizabeth “Effie” Whittaker died after a dog attack in the backyard of her Moerewa home.
The family of the woman, who was in her 70s, spoke of their devastation at the loss of a “dearly loved” mother, nanny, and aunt.
“No one would have expected such a tragedy in our community,” her family said in a statement. No one has been brought to justice for the death.
A 4-year-old was also killed by a dog in the Bay of Plenty in March last year.
He was Timothy Tu’uaki Rolleston-Bryan, described as having “a little mischief in his smile, a little wild in his eyes, but a heart full of cuteness”.
More to come.
Sign up to The Daily H, a free newsletter curated by our editors and delivered straight to your inbox every weekday.