A red-brick structure stitches together a monastic complex on the island of Inis Cealtra, or Holy Island – an island in Lough Derg, in western Ireland – where towers, churches and a cemetery have stood since the 6th century. Dublin-based McCullough Mulvin Architects has transformed the former Mountshannon rectory, built in 1905, into an exhibition space, extending it with a new volume inspired by the Irish architectural tradition, built in brick and covered by a barrel vault. The design draws directly from the surrounding historic buildings: the new space recalls a monastic cell, stripped back, undecorated and deliberately compact. The restored rectory now accommodates a ticket office, café, educational spaces, offices and a shop, all designed to achieve high levels of energy efficiency. The project is completed by a new garden planted with native species, which gently slopes down towards the bay and the small harbour where boats depart for the island.