Fareham Borough Council will launch the scheme on March 30.

The council has deployed five food waste recycling lorries and 10 crew members to deliver bins and learn the collection routes ahead of the rollout.

Ian Collins, Fareham Borough Council’s director of Streetscene, said: “Vehicles and new crews inducted last week were busy this week, out delivering new bins and learning the route around the borough.

“They are learning the routes before the service goes live which should hopefully make the service launch smoother as it won’t be the first time they are going to these properties.”

Each of the borough’s 52,000 households will receive a 23-litre kerbside food waste bin, a five-litre kitchen caddy, a roll of liners, and an information leaflet.

Mr Collins said: “An engagement officer has also been recruited to work with residents so that they know what to do and to be supported in these new services.”

Alongside the food waste scheme, new glass recycling banks will be installed at three locations by the end of March.

The new banks will be located at Portchester Castle Car Park, Titchfield Recreation Ground, and Aldi car park on West Street, Fareham.

These sites will give residents a convenient way to dispose of glass bottles and jars.

For information about Fareham’s food waste recycling go to fareham.gov.uk and search waste collection and recycling.