But recently, the village has been facing a crisis as the pace of coastal erosion has increased rapidly, resulting in the demolition of four properties in North End Avenue, with fears that the encroaching North Sea will eventually swamp the entire village.
A block of five flats at Tinkers End is set to be the next to fall foul of the sea, with the residents having left and removal teams taking furniture away in preparation for demolition on Tuesday (January 20).
READ MORE: Thorpeness homeowners on devastating erosion impact
A sense of trepidation was palpable among Thorpeness residents due to the threat from the sea (Image: Newsquest)
When reporter Dominic Bareham visited the same day, a palpable sense of trepidation hung over the community, with homeowners in North End Avenue, on the frontline of the erosion battle, uncertain as to what the future will hold.
However, there was also a certain air of defiance with residents unwilling to give up homes that they had lived in for 30 or 40 years.
Evelyn Rumsby was one such resident, having bought her home, on the opposite side of North End Avenue from the sea, in 1977.
For her, the property held particularly poignant memories as she moved in with her late husband Ron, who died in 1987.
Evelyn Rumsby said the potential loss of her home in North End Avenue would be “particularly meaningful” as she had lived in it since the 70s (Image: Charlotte Bond)
“My late husband and I built it in the early 70s, so it is particularly meaningful to me because that is our home and I am like many other people. I would have a problem as to where I would go from here.
“Normally, you would buy another property if you had one to sell, but I do not have one.
“If this road goes, then I will go with it,” she said.
READ MORE: Thorpeness homeowner told to pay for privilege of demolition
She added she had a partner who lived in Felixstowe, but otherwise her “whole life” was in the village.
Four homes in North End Avenue have already been demolished (Image: Lucy Taylor)
“I play golf at the golf club. My whole life is here, so I would like to be able to stay here.”
However, although she would have liked action to have been taken earlier on to counter erosion, she understood that councils along the Norfolk and Suffolk coastline were having to deal with erosion and financial resources were stretched.
Another homeowner in North End Avenue, who did not wish to be named, said: “It is a very distressing situation.
“A lot of us have worked up here for 30 or 40 years and it is a very distressing situation, especially with the speed of the erosion,” she said.
READ MORE: University expert warns of future of Thorpeness erosion
However, North End Avenue residents are not the only homeowners in the village fearing the threat from the sea.
Amanda and Paul Curtis own a second home in Old Homes Road and described the situation as “like something from a disaster movie.”
They had looked on as villagers were moved out of the Tinkers End flats opposite their home.
“It is surreal. From this side, everything looks fine, but on the other, the cliff is eroding away. I can’t believe it all,” Amanda said.
Villagers are facing uncertainty over the future due to erosion at Thorpeness (Image: Lucy Taylor)
She also reflected on the impact on house prices, which have plummeted, while a number of homes had ‘For Sale’ signs up, while other holiday lets in North End Avenue were deserted when this newspaper visited, perhaps as tourists stayed away, fearing the erosion threat.
Business owners in Thorpeness are also facing uncertainty about the impact of coastal erosion, including Claire Marshall, proprietor of The Kitchen@Thorpeness, an independent cafe.
She did not know what the future impact of erosion would be, but highlighted a number of factors that were putting pressure on trade, including roadworks associated with the new Sizewell C nuclear power station and Government policies, such as increasing in National Insurance contributions.
However, her cafe was busy when this newspaper visited on Tuesday and she said she received a lot of local trade, as well as from tourists.
“Would holidaymakers necessarily know what is happening with erosion and is that putting them off? It is hard to say.
“In fairness, I think Sizewell C is having a bigger impact on us. I think there has been lots of opposition to what is going on here and there is the inconvenience of getting to us as well,” she added.
East Suffolk Council has provided reassurance to homeowners facing having to foot the cost of demolishing their own properties that all costs will be met.
Earlier this month, Suffolk Coastal MP Jenny Riddell-Carpenter told the House of Commons that some homeowners in Thorpeness had been informed they may be liable for the cost of demolition due to the ongoing process of coastal erosion.
The total demolition costs are expected to be in the region of £330,000 and the council will provide the additional funding through its reserves.
Councillor Mark Packard, cabinet member for planning and coastal management said: “Property owners are suffering a genuinely devastating experience, and our teams have been working closely with those affected throughout.
“The issue of demolition costs has been a grave concern to them, and we have always sought to provide reassurance.
“However, the erosion in recent weeks has occurred at such an unprecedented rate that a decision has been taken to immediately ensure costs are covered in the short term.
“This is a tragedy for property-owners; however, we are able to address one of the most worrying elements of this upsetting situation.”