Royal Family Attend Sunday Service In Windsor

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has denied any wrongdoing (Image: GETTY)

Disgraced Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor had a brutal one-word nickname, a former royal police officer has claimed. It comes after Thames Valley Police confirmed they are assessing allegations of misconduct in public office against the former prince. 

Earlier this week, King Charles expressed “profound concern” about allegations regarding his brother’s conduct, linked to documents released as part of the United States Department of Justice’s Epstein files.

In a statement, Buckingham Palace emphasised that if police formally open an investigation and approach the royal household, they will cooperate fully.

Describing the situation as “uncharted territory” on the Palace Confidential podcast, the Daily Mail’s Jo Elvin questioned former royal protection officer Dai Davies about the matter.

Davies, who served as an operational commander for royal protection between 1994 and 1998, was responsible for the safety of senior members of the Royal Family.

During the conversation, he highlighted that such protection comes at significant cost to the taxpayer.

Read more: Furious William wanted Andrew banished for good – ‘stain on the Royal Family’

Read more: After Andrew and Fergie’s chaos – the Royal Family have a new ‘hidden weapon’

Dai Davies

Former Head of Royal Protection Dai Davies said Andrew has a brutal nickname (Image: YOUTUBE/PALACECONFIDENTIAL)

Regarding Andrew specifically, Davies estimated that providing security over his lifetime could have cost taxpayers around £150 million.

“If you include the family, since he was born he’s had protection. When he went to Gordonstoun (a prestigious boarding school where two generations of the Royal Family have been educated) he had protection, in the Navy even,” he said.

Explaining where those costs arise, the former police officer cited static protection teams and technical support systems as just two of the contributing factors.

“I think that’s a very small estimate, so how he’s repaid us, allegedly, is a national scandal which has to be explored properly,” he added.

King Charles And Queen Camilla Visit New Turquoise Mountain Exhibition

King Charles expressed ‘profound concern’ over the allegations (Image: GETTY)

Davies continued: “[Andrew] was known as a blabbermouth, and interestingly Edward VIII, his uncle, was also known as a blabbermouth because he spoke freely to journalists.

“He couldn’t be trusted either, but this has been allowed to fester until we’ve now reached this stage,” he added.

Emails released by the US Department of Justice appear to show Andrew sharing reports from official visits to Hong Kong, Vietnam and Singapore during his time as the UK’s trade envoy.

The father-of-two, who has been stripped of his titles and royal patronages, is also facing renewed pressure to testify in the United States about his links to Jeffrey Epstein.

He has previously expressed regret over the friendship, but has consistently denied any wrongdoing. The former Prince hasn’t made a statement on the current misconduct claims. 

FILES-BRITAIN-US-ROYALS-ANDREW-EPSTEIN

King Charles has removed Andrew’s right to use his royal titles and honours (Image: GETTY)

In a statement, Thames Valley Police Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said: “We can confirm today (11/2) that Thames Valley Police is leading the ongoing assessment of allegations relating to misconduct in public office. This specifically relates to documents within the United States Department of Justice’s Epstein files.

“As part of this assessment, we have engaged in discussions with specialist Crown Prosecutors from the CPS. We will provide updates as and when they are available, but at this stage it would be inappropriate to discuss further specifics of this work.”

He added: “While we cannot provide timescales for when a decision will be made as to whether a criminal investigation will be opened, we can assure you that Thames Valley Police is making progress as quickly as possible.” 

Buckingham Palace has been approached for comment.