Images show progress being made on the tracks
Work taking place at Manchester Piccadilly(Image: Network Rail)
Work is well underway on a ‘once-in-a-generation’ project which has seen most of Manchester Piccadilly station close for nine days. A second day of work has begun at the station today (February 15) as part of upgrades worth £7.9 million.
Platforms one to 12 will remain closed this week, with a final day of works expected next Sunday, February 22. No services are running from Piccadilly to the south or east while the work takes place.
Click here to prioritise Manchester news in Google from the MEN
Network Rail says the work covers almost a kilometre of the railway, with some infrastructure being replaced for the first time since the 1980s. The work is intended to make journeys more reliable for both passengers and freight.
Images from the first day of work on Saturday have been shared by Network Rail, with passengers being thanked for their cooperation. Many services are terminating at alternative stations, such as Stockport, with several rail replacement buses in use.

Work taking place last night(Image: Network Rail)
A Network Rail spokesperson wrote on X: “Thanks for your patience during day one of our six-line track overhaul at Manchester Piccadilly yesterday. Rail replacement buses will run until February 22 while the major £7.9m upgrades take place.”
The work will see 11 sets of points replaced, 9,000m of new cabling laid and 5,500 tonnes of new railway foundation stone replaced. There will also be work to signalling and other lineside equipment, while timber sleepers will be upgraded with modern concrete equivalents.
A limited number of westbound services will continue to run at platforms 13 and 14 this week, while facilities inside Piccadilly station remain open. Additional 192 bus services have been put on to help passengers get between Manchester and Stockport, while valid rail tickets are being accepted on several Bee Network buses and Metrolink trams services in the affected area.

Work taking place at Piccadilly(Image: Network Rail)
Rebecca Rathore, Network Rail’s North West route strategy director, previously said: “This work is vital in order to keep passengers and freight on the move reliably for decades to come across both Greater Manchester and wider North West. We know that the part closure of Manchester Piccadilly so we can carry out this work will cause some disruption and we’re thankful for everyone’s patience so we can complete these journey improving upgrades.
“I’d advise anyone planning to travel between February 14 and 22 to check National Rail Enquiries for the smoothest journey possible.” Passengers are advised to allow extra time for their journeys and check the latest information here.