Your support helps us to tell the story
From reproductive rights to climate change to Big Tech, The Independent is on the ground when the story is developing. Whether it’s investigating the financials of Elon Musk’s pro-Trump PAC or producing our latest documentary, ‘The A Word’, which shines a light on the American women fighting for reproductive rights, we know how important it is to parse out the facts from the messaging.
At such a critical moment in US history, we need reporters on the ground. Your donation allows us to keep sending journalists to speak to both sides of the story.
The Independent is trusted by Americans across the entire political spectrum. And unlike many other quality news outlets, we choose not to lock Americans out of our reporting and analysis with paywalls. We believe quality journalism should be available to everyone, paid for by those who can afford it.
Your support makes all the difference.Read more
Nine people have been detained in connection with a suspected decade-long ticket fraud scheme at the Louvre, the world’s most visited museum, Paris prosecutors announced on Thursday.
The alleged operation is believed to have defrauded the institution of more than €10m (£8.7m) over the past decade.
The arrests, which occurred on Tuesday, are part of a judicial investigation that commenced after the Louvre lodged a formal complaint in December 2024.
Among those taken into custody are two museum employees, several tour guides, and an individual suspected of being the mastermind behind the extensive fraud, according to the prosecutors’ office.
The museum alerted investigators about the frequent presence of two Chinese tour guides suspected of bringing groups of Chinese tourists into the museum by fraudulently reusing the same tickets multiple times for different visitors. Other guides were later suspected of similar practices.
The prosecutors’ office said surveillance and wiretaps confirmed repeated ticket reuse and an apparent strategy of splitting up tour groups to avoid paying the required “speaking fee” imposed on guides. The investigation also pointed to suspected accomplices within the Louvre, with guides allegedly paying them cash in exchange for avoiding ticket checks, it said.
Suspects are believed to have invested some of the money in real estate in France and Dubai (Getty)
A formal judicial investigation was opened in June last year on charges including organised fraud, money laundering, corruption, aiding illegal entry in the country as part of an organised group, and the use of forged administrative documents.
Investigators believe the network may have brought in up to 20 tour groups a day over the past decade.
Suspects are believed to have invested some of the money in real estate in France and Dubai. Authorities have seized more than €957,000 (£833,226) in cash, including €67,000 (£58,334) in foreign currency, as well as €486,000 (£423,145) from bank accounts.
The prosecutors’ office mentioned a similar ticket fraud is also suspected to have taken place at the Palace of Versailles, without providing further details.
In October, the crown jewels robbery at the Louvre drew worldwide attention to the museum, after a team of four people broke in through a window during visiting hours, and fled with an estimated €88m (£76.6m) worth of treasures. Authorities have arrested several suspects in that case, but the stolen items remain missing.