The King said “the law must take its course” after he learnt “with the deepest concern” about the arrest of his brother Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

Several patrol cars arrived at Wood Farm on the Sandringham estate in Norfolk just after 8am on Andrew’s 66th birthday. Neither the Palace nor the King were given warning of his brother’s arrest, The Times understands.

Police and bodyguards with cars at Wood Farm, Sandringham.

TERRY HARRIS FOR THE TIMES

Thames Valley police previously said they were assessing allegations that Andrew forwarded confidential reports to Jeffrey Epstein while he was a trade envoy for the UK.

The force said on Thursday that officers were searching addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk.

Andrew is said to be staying at Sandringham after his eviction from Royal Lodge, having been ordered to move out and stripped of his prince title by the King in October.

In a statement released by Buckingham Palace, Charles said: “I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office.

Prince Andrew and Prince Charles in formal attire at St Paul's Cathedral.

Charles with Andrew at St Paul’s Cathedral to celebrate their mother’s Diamond Jubilee in 2012

MAX MUMBY/INDIGO/GETTY IMAGES

A statement from His Majesty the King regarding Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor.

“What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities. In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation. Let me state clearly: the law must take its course.

“As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all.”

The statement was signed: “Charles R.”

The King was later met with cheers and shouts from the public at the opening of London Fashion Week, as he pressed on with his official duties. He sat in the front row, toured exhibitions, met designers and watched a fashion show.

The Prince and Princess of Wales were staying at Anmer Hall, their home on the Norfolk estate, at the time of the arrest. They are understood to support the statement issued by the King.

At the start of William’s visit to Saudi Arabia last week, a Kensington Palace spokesman said: “The Prince and Princess have been deeply concerned by the continuing revelations [in the Epstein files]. Their thoughts remain focused on the victims.”

Sir Keir Starmer said on Thursday morning that “nobody is above the law” when asked whether Andrew should volunteer himself to police. In addition to the confidential reports, Thames Valley police previously said they were also reviewing allegations that a woman was trafficked to the UK by Epstein to have a sexual encounter with Andrew.

Daniel Finkelstein: Arrest aids republicans’ cause

Eight other forces are either investigating allegations in the Epstein files or seeking more information. The National Crime Agency is also involved.

Gordon Brown said on Thursday that he had “submitted a five-page memorandum to the Metropolitan, Surrey, Sussex, Thames Valley and other relevant UK police constabularies”.

The former prime minister said it “provides new and additional information to that which I submitted last week to the Met, Essex and Thames Valley police forces where I expressed my concern that we secure justice for trafficked girls and women”.

Andrew’s arrest raises the prospect of a criminal trial after more than 15 years of scrutiny over his ties to Epstein, the paedophile financier who killed himself in his prison cell in 2019.

Prince Andrew and Jeffrey Epstein walking together through New York's Central Park.

Andrew with Jeffrey Epstein in 2010

Prince Andrew with his arm around Virginia Giuffre's waist, and Ghislaine Maxwell standing next to them.

With the teenage Virginia Giuffre and Ghislaine Maxwell in 2001

US DISTRICT COURT – SOUTHERN DIS/AFP/GETTY IMAGES

Thames Valley police said: “We have today arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk.

“The man remains in police custody at this time.”

Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said: “It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence.

“We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.”

Searches at Royal Lodge, Andrew’s former home in Berkshire, were continuing on Thursday afternoon. Uniformed officers were stationed at the gates of the estate encompassing 40 hectares within Windsor Great Park.

Police officer checking a gray Ford van at the gates of Royal Lodge near Windsor Castle.

PETER MACDIARMID FOR THE TIMES

A smiling police officer in uniform and a tactical vest inside a red vehicle.

An officer at the gates in Windsor

SWNS

The maximum sentence for misconduct in public office is life imprisonment.

Andrew’s representatives were approached for comment. He has previously denied wrongdoing.