Former head of neurosurgery at Ninewells Hospital in Dundee, Sam Eljamel, is believed to have harmed more than 200 patients.

17:32, 19 Feb 2026Updated 19:06, 19 Feb 2026

Butcher brain surgeon patients call for health chief’s resignation

Patients of disgraced brain surgeon Sam Eljamel have called for a health board chief’s resignation at a hospital protest over the destruction of vital documents.

The former head of neurosurgery at Ninewells Hospital in Dundee is believed to have harmed more than 200 patients, with some said to have had life-changing injuries.

He was suspended in 2013, resigned from the health board the following year and removed from the medical register in 2015.

But he is now back in his native Libya, where he is understood to have been working as a surgeon as a public inquiry into his work in the UK continues.

Scots harmed by the rogue medic protested outside Ninewells in Dundee on Thursday alongside 40 bags of shredded paper, representing the loss of 40 theatre log books in September, despite a ‘no not destroy’ order.

Eljamel’s conduct is being examined

Eljamel’s conduct is being examined

A letter demanding the resignation of Nicky Connor, the Chief Executive of NHS Tayside, was then handed over to the hospital.

Lead campaigner Jules Rose, who discovered Eljamel had removed her tear gland instead of a tumour on her brain, said: “We now know that NHS Tayside’s Information Governance Team ordered a junior employee to delete 40 theatre logbooks. Despite a ‘do not destroy notice’ issued nine months previously.

“Forty logbooks that, for many patients, were their only remaining hope of discovering what really happened to them. A fragile glimmer of truth after years, in some cases, decades of pain, suffering, and unanswered questions.

“Today, the 40 bags beside us represent those 40 theatre logbooks and the thousands of patients they relate to. Evidence that should have brought truth and accountability has instead been destroyed.”

The public inquiry into Eljamel’s conduct heard in November that the log books had been destroyed two months.

NHS Tayside said it “deeply regretted” the error, which it said happened because staff were not aware of the logbooks’ connection with Eljamel.

Campaigner Rose said patients had now uncovered new evidence that it took three months before NHS Tayside chiefs began forensic walk-rounds to search for Eljamel-related files.

Campaigner Jules Rose staged the protest

Campaigner Jules Rose staged the protest(Image: Daily Record)

She said: “Three months of inaction and three months of contempt. This delay is an insult to the patients who were butchered, and to their families and loved ones who have fought for answers. One patient likened it to having Eljamel’s scalpel dig back into their open wound.

“Our Health Secretary Neil Gray, like the First Minister, said he was ‘furious’ about the deletion of these logbooks. But now appears content to accept a disgraceful, lackadaisical, and frankly embarrassing response to the destruction of vital evidence in a multi-million-pound inquiry. Shame on you Neil Gray. This raises serious questions about ministerial judgment.”

Earlier this month, Scotland’s new patient safety commissioner told MSPs she is “not confident” that whistleblowers who tried to stop the disgraced brain surgeon would be listened to if such a scandal happened today.

Karen Titchener, who started her role in September, said there were still concerns that health boards would close ranks and shut down whistleblower fears.

The letter urging chief exec Connor to step down yesterday said public confidence in her leadership had been “irreparably damaged”.

Campaigners protest after log books were destroyed

Campaigners protest after log books were destroyed(Image: Daily Record)

Rose said: “How can anyone have even a scintilla of trust in Nicky Connor? She has flung staff under the bus while showing no real understanding of the gravity of this scandal, or even worse, showing she simply Does. Not. Care. She must go.

“Families deserve truth. Loved ones deserve answers. And Scotland deserves a health service that does not erase its own crimes.”

An NHS spokesperson said: “In addition to the work already undertaken to identify and secure documents which may be relevant to the Public Inquiry over the course of 2024 and 2025, forensic walkrounds were initiated by NHS Tayside in December.

“These walkrounds, led by clinical staff, were to provide assurance that any documents relating to Mr Eljamel are securely held. They were one of the extra measures put in place following the disclosure made by NHS Tayside in its Opening Statement to the Inquiry at the end of November 2025. No new documentation has been identified as a result of the walkrounds.

“A number of measures have taken place – in relation to and in addition to the walkrounds.

“Individuals and departments who may hold or be responsible for potentially relevant information or documentation were identified and instructed to secure any information in their areas. This was to catalogue information centrally and ensure the material was securely stored.

“We have also held meetings with responsible managers, issued all-staff bulletins and updated information on internal communication and engagement platforms to reiterate the Do Not Destroy notice and the responsibilities of all staff over 2024 and 2025.

“NHS Tayside remains deeply sorry for the destruction in error of a number of hard copy theatre logbooks. NHS Tayside is taking all steps to try to ensure there can be no further destruction of any documentation in error. The Board will continue to cooperate with The Eljamel Inquiry and will be accountable for its decision-making and actions taken in response to Mr Eljamel’s practice and the concerns raised.”

A Scottish Government Spokesperson said: “We fully recognise the pain and distress experienced by people impacted by Mr Eljamel’s practice. That is why we established the statutory public inquiry into the actions of Mr Eljamel and NHS Tayside to ensure patients obtain answers to their questions and that lessons are learned.

“The Health Secretary sought assurances from NHS Tayside that proper record governance is in place and that the Board is fully supporting the Eljamel inquiry in its work. The First Minister has arranged to meet with former patients in March to hear their experiences and concerns.”

“Ministers have complete confidence in Lord Weir and the independent inquiry to get to the truth for patients and families without influence, interference or speculation on the outcome of the Inquiry.”

Get more Daily Record exclusives by signing up for free to Google’s preferred sources. Click HERE