Work has begun to tear down a former shopping centre after all 30 shops inside were told to shut with just an hour’s notice. Priory Square, on Priory Queensway in Birmingham, was once home to hair salons, B&M, restaurants and the well-known Oasis Market. But traders were told to close indefinitely in March 2025, leaving the entire site empty.

At the time, a spokesperson for Hammerson, the real estate firm that owns the centre, said the decision was made with the health and safety of tenants and the public in mind. The closure followed an annual fire risk assessment that identified issues requiring substantial improvements, including upgrades to the electrical system.

Hammerson has now confirmed that demolition has begun.

Old shop fronts have already been ripped out and staff in high-visibility jackets have been seen at the site alongside construction equipment, BirminghamLive reports.

In a statement, a Hammerson  spokesperson said: “Since closing Priory Square last year, we have secured the site and have started the demolition works. 

“We remain in dialogue with Birmingham City Council on next steps and will provide an update when there’s more to say.”

*** Ensure our latest news headlines always appear at the top of your Google Search by making us a Preferred Source. Click here to activate or add us as Preferred Source in your Google search settings. ***

Priory Square was once considered a key part of the area and included the long-running Oasis Market, regarded as the heart of Birmingham’s alternative community. 

The market had operated for 54 years before the closure. 

On March 25, 2025, traders were given just an hour to clear out after being told the building posed a high fire safety risk.

Hammerson said at the time that improvements and mitigations needed to make the building safe were “materially beyond what is reasonably practical to implement”. 

The company also said Priory Square would have needed to be vacated for a “prolonged period of time to upgrade the electrical system” before it could reopen.

Following that assessment, Hammerson decided the only option was to close the shopping centre indefinitely.