Harwood Golf Club, off Roading Brook Road, was originally founded by four local shop-keepers. So, the club always held its competitions on Sundays when the businesses were closed and the ladies’ section held theirs on Wednesdays as it was half-day closing.
The course originally comprised four holes on land immediately behind the Nab Gate pub, now Baci restaurant. It acquired further land, on which the clubhouse now stands, to create a nine-hole course over 28 acres.
Harwood Golf Club (Image: Supplied)
However, in 1933, the club received a “notice to quit” as the land was needed for building and on April 13, the committee decided to disband the club.
Club captain, John Allen, however, had different ideas. He held a further meeting with members when it was decided to rent further land from Springfield Farm to keep Harwood Golf Club in existence.
Harwood Golf Club (Image: Archive)
The new nine-hole course, though, was a far cry from today’s well-kept fairways and greens.
By 1935, a wooden structure served as the clubhouse, water came from a well outside and the only other facilities were two outside chemical toilets.
The land was rough, virtually undrained. Cattle grazed on it and chickens laid their eggs. The fairways were covered in cow pats and the greens had to be fenced off to keep the cattle out.
In 1947, a large Nissen hut replaced the wooden clubhouse structure, heated by two stoves although by 1950, two tiled fireplaces replaced them.
Harwood Golf Club joined Bury Golf Association in 1960 and the club continued to improve its facilities. A year later, the club rented 25 acres of land from Bury Meadows to establish a practice ground.
Unfortunately, in the early hours of January 23, 1964, disaster struck when a devastating fire destroyed the main clubhouse and ladies’ locker room.
Members worked tireless to remove the rubble and remaining buildings to prepare the site for a new clubhouse, with practical support from Breightmet Golf Club.
In May, 1964, the new, plush clubhouse was opened – and Harwood Golf Club was on track once more.
A Junior section was formed in 1970 and improvements to the clubhouse came in the ensuing years.
In 1998 the new 18-hole course was opened. Over the years, more refinements were made to both the clubhouse and the course and membership of all ages has thrived.
Harwood Golf Club has hosted both Bury and Bolton championships, won both the Bury and Bolton Association leagues and won team events in the Manchester Alliance. Both men’s and ladies’ teams have seen great successes.
As 2026 Club Captain Andre J Boudin states about the original club founders: “They could scarcely have imagined the rich legacy they would leave the towns of Bury and Bolton and the surrounding area.”
Harwood Golf Club (Image: Archive)
The 2026 Captain of the Women’s Section Gillian Crofts commented about the club: “We embrace the traditions of golf with the development and advancement of the sport at the heart of everything we do.”
There are many events and competitions planned for the centenary year, which starts this month, which included a quiz night on March 14 and a free women’s golf taster day will take place on March 28.
But the main winner here is the game of golf: still played with pride and true values at Harwood Golf Club where, on its superb course, it has become a family sport open to all.