Eddie Howe is being shown a lot of love by Newcastle chiefs after a tough run of results
12:00, 11 Feb 2026Updated 15:00, 11 Feb 2026

Newcastle United co-owner Jamie Reuben
The powers that be at Newcastle United sent a clear message to Eddie Howe after the 2-1 at Spurs last night.
As ChronicleLive reported before the big match in the capital, Newcastle’s owners have no intention of changing head coach. A season review is in the diary for May, but the job is very much Howe’s to lose as Newcastle continue to fight on three fronts in the Champions League, FA Cup and the top-flight’s race for Europe.
Howe had stated that he was still the right man for the job despite the 3-2 loss to Brentford. After that defeat, he faced the media and looked genuinely shaken after the crowd boos at St James’ Park.
In the lead-up to Spurs, he returned to face the cameras looking energised and focused for the clash against under-pressure Thomas Frank’s side. But if anybody doubted whether Howe was in any type of trouble in terms of his job, the post-game scenes after the match said it all.
FOLLOW ON FACEBOOK! Keep up with all the Newcastle United latest via the Chronicle’s dedicated Facebook page
Sporting director Ross Wilson was waiting in the tunnel to congratulate Howe, and the ex-Rangers man was a supportive presence n the dressing room after the slender win. Then, after Howe had been shoved to the front to take the acclaim of the magnificent Toon Army, director and co-owner Jamie Reuben posted a picture of Howe with a love heart emoji.
Howe had spoken of his emotions after Brentford and insisted that he was being authentic when looking glazed on Saturday night. He said at Spurs in his Press conference: “It was not an act. That was me being very real and very genuine in terms of how I felt.
“I’ll say it again. I’ve got to believe that I’m the right person to be in the job with all the sacrifices that it entails and I’ve got to feel that the players are playing for me. Today they showed that they are – but that has to be consistent moving forward.”
Speaking about the backlash of criticism after three straight defeats in a row in the Premier League, Howe said: “If anything, they used it in a positive way and reinforced relationships.
“It made us all look inward and look at what we’re doing and how we can do it better.”
Yet Newcastle and Howe still aren’t out of the woods this season. They now face a tough FA Cup examination at Aston Villa on Saturday night.
They remain mid-table in the Premier League and some way off the Champions League race via the Prem. However, they are closing the gap on a Europa League spot.
Ensure our latest sport headlines always appear at the top of your Google Search by making us a Preferred Source. Click here to activate or add us as Preferred Source in your Google search settings
Here at ChronicleLive, we are dedicated to bringing you the best Newcastle United coverage and analysis.
Make sure you don’t miss out on the latest NUFC news by joining our free WhatsApp group. You can get all the breaking news and best analysis sent straight to your phone by clicking here to subscribe.
You can also subscribe to our free newsletter service. Click here to be sent all the day’s biggest stories.
And, finally, if you would rather listen to our expert analysis then make sure to check out our Everything is Black and White podcast. Our shows are available on all podcast platforms, including Spotify and Apple Podcasts, and you can also watch along on YouTube.