REDDING, Calif. 4 P.M. UPDATE – The Shasta County Sheriff’s Office says that members of its dive team pulled the body of a man from the waters of the Sacramento River on Wednesday morning.
Authorities say that at around 10:20 a.m. on Wednesday, the Shasta County Sheriff’s Office Dive Team was requested by Redding Police Department to provide assistance in the recovery of a body that was found in the Sacramento River.
The dive team responded to the Kurtas Boat Ramp, located on Park Marina Drive in Redding. From there, they traveled by boat to the area north of the Highway 44 overpass and south of the Sundial Bridge near “the Bluffs”.
Upon arrival at the area, members of the dive team located the body of the deceased adult male that was submerged in the water and determined that he was beyond lifesaving measures.
The dive team recovered the man’s body from the water and transported the body over to the Kurtas Boat Ramp. The body was released over to the Shasta County Coroner’s Office for identification.
On Wednesday afternoon, the Shasta County Coroner’s Office positively identified the deceased male as 37-year-old Alex Abrams of Redding. Authorities say that Abrams had been missing after running into the Sacramento River during a pursuit with the Redding Police Department on Sunday, February 8.
Next-of-kin notifications have been made to Abrams’ family, and the Shasta County Coroner’s Office
———————————————————–
(ORIGINAL STORY)
The Redding Police Department says that the body of a man was pulled from the waters of the Sacramento River on Wednesday.
Authorities say that at around 10:20 a.m. on Wednesday, officers from the Redding Police Department, the Shasta County Sheriff’s Office, and the Shasta County Coroner’s Office responded to the area of the Park Marina Drive Boat Ramp on Wednesday morning for a deceased individual in the water.
Redding Police says that the Shasta County Sheriff’s Office dive team pulled the body of a deceased male from the water.
The body was transported to the Shasta County Coroner’s Office for identification. Authorities will not release the identity of the deceased male until next-of-kin notifications have been made.
Redding Police was unable to confirm if the body of the man that was pulled for the waters of the Sacramento River today was the same man who had jumped into the river in the aftermath of a vehicle pursuit over the weekend.
In that incident, the male passenger who entered the Sacramento River was not located by authorities after he floated away down the river.
38-year-old Michael Smith of Redding was identified as the driver of the vehicle. The Redding Police Department says that Smith provided a false name during the investigation.
