Federal immigration agents have left a Coast Guard facility on Terminal Island that local officials and activists say was used for months as a staging ground for enforcement operations across Southern California.
Rep. Nanette Barragán said on X that she confirmed with the U.S. Coast Guard in Los Angeles and Long Beach that Immigration and Customs Enforcement and Border Patrol agents packed up and left the base late Friday.
On Friday, I confirmed with the U.S. Coast Guard LA/Long Beach that ICE and Border Patrol packed up and left Terminal Island. It is unclear at this time whether this is permanent or if they are moving to another location in LA County.
For months, families in surrounding… pic.twitter.com/qxqYcyZKwi
— Nanette D. Barragán (@RepBarragan) February 15, 2026
“It is unclear at this time whether this is permanent or if they are moving to another location in L.A. County,” Barragán said. “For months, families in surrounding neighborhoods have raised concerns. Public safety works best when communities trust the institutions serving them. I will continue to advocate for policies that protect both our security and our immigrant communities.”
Barragán’s confirmation follows reports from activists and local officials who said they saw federal vehicles leaving the site, which sits near the Port of Los Angeles and a federal prison complex.
Officials and community groups have said the base had been used since last summer to stage immigration raids throughout the region, sparking protests and monitoring efforts by volunteers.
Los Angeles County Supervisor Janice Hahn credited those community efforts for keeping watch over the facility.
“For the past eight months, as ICE raids have caused panic and chaos across our region, people in the Harbor area have organized and volunteered their time through Harbor Area Peace Patrols to be the eyes and ears for this community,” Hahn said.
She said her office often relied on the group for information because federal agencies did not share details about their operations.
“Since last summer, the federal government has refused to share any information about ICE’s actions with local governments—so oftentimes, my office learned about these raids from organizations like Harbor Area Peace Patrols,” Hahn said. “They have been an incredible partner in fighting against the federal government’s assault on L.A. County.”
Hahn thanked volunteers for monitoring the base and supporting residents during enforcement actions.
“The last year has been difficult, but I have been heartened by all of the community members who have stepped up to protect their neighbors,” she said. “I want to thank Harbor Area Peace Patrols and every person who has volunteered their time to keep their community safe.”
Still, Hahn warned that the apparent withdrawal may not be permanent.
“While this is good news, we still need to remain vigilant—don’t put away your whistles just yet,” she said.
Federal agencies have not publicly explained the move, and it remains unclear whether enforcement operations will shift to another location in Los Angeles County.
Barragán said her office will continue monitoring the situation and pressing for answers from immigration authorities.