LOS ANGELES (KABC) — Calls are intensifying for Casey Wasserman to step down as chairman of the Los Angeles Olympics organizing committee over his ties to Jeffrey Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell.

Wasserman faces mounting pressure following the Department of Justice’s release of files related to Epstein. The documents show Wasserman exchanged flirtatious emails in 2003 with Maxwell, who is serving a 20 year prison sentence for her role in helping Epstein sexually abuse his victims.

In a CNN interview, L.A. Mayor Karen Bass said that while she can’t fire Wasserman from the committee, her “opinion is that he should step down.”

In West Hollywood Tuesday, a rally was held where attendees called on Wasserman to resign.

“We refuse to look the other way while the Games are fronted by a chair whose own emails with a convicted trafficker are now a part of the public record,” West Hollywood Council member Chelsea Byers said during a news conference.

Byers is one of two members on the West Hollywood City Council who say they plan to introduce a resolution next month officially urging Wasserman to resign.

If passed, the resolution would make West Hollywood the first city to take a public stance on the issue.

The LA28 Executive Committee Board backed Wasserman as chair, citing an independent investigation that examined his past interactions with Maxwell.

Wasserman has apologized for his correspondence with Maxwell, and reiterated it happened long before her and Epstein’s crimes came to light. He’s also denied having a personal or business relationship with Epstein.

Critics say the investigation didn’t go far enough.

“That was an internal report prepared by lawyers hired by the LA28 board. That is not enough. That is insufficient. This is sending a message to all survivors that we will back powerful individuals like Casey Wasserman but we will not care or protect you,” attorney Michael Carrillo said at the news conference in West Hollywood.

Wasserman announced last week that he is selling his talent agency, citing his presence has “become a distraction,” but he vowed to stay on with LA28.

City News Service contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2026 KABC Television, LLC. All rights reserved.