DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – News 6 has learned that Jermaine Long, the man accused of randomly attacking and slashing a 13-year-old boy’s throat in Daytona Beach over the weekend, had been questioned earlier that day by police for another violent act involving him swinging a sledgehammer at a man.
Police reports show Long chased and hit a man with a sledgehammer that morning but was initially let go and given a trespass warning.
When police finally arrested Long Saturday night after the attack on the teen outside the Slingshot ride, it was their third time that day responding to incidents involving him in the area around the Boardwalk and Main Street.
[WATCH: Man lacerated child’s neck in random Daytona Beach attack, police say]
Volusia County Community Correspondent Molly Reed requested and obtained police records outlining the timeline.
Daytona Beach police reports show that on Saturday, Long was trespassed from a location on South Hollywood Avenue around 8 a.m.
Three and a half hours later, police were called again—this time to a 7-Eleven near the Boardwalk, where Long allegedly chased a man and hit him with a sledgehammer. Officers spoke with both Long and the victim but did not make an arrest, instead trespassing Long from the area.
[VIDEO:Man accused of slashing 13-year-old had violent incident earlier that day in Daytona Beach]
About 11 hours later, police received a call that Long had randomly attacked and slashed a 13-year-old boy’s throat near the Slingshot ride.
“From the initial time of the call to the time he was in handcuffs was within a couple of minutes,” said Bill Rhodes, director of operations for the Daytona Beach Police Department.
[Listen to the 911 call below]
Video shared with News 6 shows Long’s arrest for the attack on the teen, after which he was taken to jail on charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.
Two days later, police filed charges related to the sledgehammer incident.
When asked about the delay in arresting Long earlier, Rhodes said the department is reviewing the officers’ initial investigations to understand why no arrest was made then.
Rhodes added that Long is well known to officers in the area.
“He has a pretty long criminal history mostly all in Daytona Beach,” he said.
Back in January, records show Long was arrested for allegedly trying to hurt two men with a knife and hit them with a pole. Prosecutors dropped the charges, and he was released from jail just four days before Saturday’s incidents.
[VIDEO: Family seeks answers after son’s neck slashed in Daytona Beach by man recently released from jail]
The teen’s parents told News 6 earlier this week they want answers about why Long was free before attacking their son.
“I don’t know why he was walking around,” said Jerod Clarke, the father.
The state attorney’s office told News 6 it is also reviewing the January case.
Long has another hearing Thursday for the attack, where prosecutors will push to keep him in jail before trial.
Daytona Beach police tell News 6 they are increasing their presence around the Boardwalk with major events like Bike Week coming up and plan to open a new satellite office in a nearby hotel soon to boost safety in the area.
[MORE: 13-year-old describes random attack when man slashed his neck in Daytona Beach ]
Breaking News Alerts
Get breaking news alerts delivered to your inbox.
Copyright 2026 by WKMG ClickOrlando – All rights reserved.