The Daytona Beach Police Department has launched an internal review of its investigation into Jermaine Long.That man is now facing several charges for two reported attacks.Jermaine Long, the man police said slashed a 13-year-old’s throat in Daytona Beach, had two more run-ins with law enforcement earlier that day. Police say the violence began around 8 a.m., when Long was trespassed from a home in Daytona Beach. Joanne Payne said her husband, who is friends with Long, had kicked him out the night before. But she said he returned the next morning.“My neighbor called 911. She said he came back with a sledgehammer and was hollering that he was going to make some noise,” Payne said.A few hours later, police say Long struck a man with a sledgehammer near a 7-Eleven on State Road A1A. Officers responded to the scene, but Long was not arrested at that time. According to booking records, he was not arrested at the time, but this week, police charged him after the slashing incident that left a 13-year-old injured.The teenager needed 13 stitches after the attack. However, the doctor explained that if the wound had been even one millimeter deeper, the consequences could have been far more serious.We also reached out to the Daytona Beach police department on why Long was arrested for the 711 sledgehammer incident, and they said, “Officers investigated and spoke with both parties. However, because the alleged victim did not fully cooperate and there was not enough evidence to legally justify an immediate arrest, Mr. Long was not taken into custody. The store clerk requested that law enforcement trespass Mr. Long from the establishment due to prior retail theft. It should be noted that the victim of this incident did not have any major injuries.” Long’s attorney said his client maintains his innocence.“My client has indicated that he’s innocent, and that’s what we’re going to believe, that he’s innocent,” the attorney said. Long is being held at the Volusia County Branch Jail without bond. He has entered a not guilty plea in both cases.WESH 2 also discovered that Long is a registered sex offender with a criminal history involving drugs and battery.His most recent arrest before this one was for a case in January. He was accused of chasing two men with a wooden pole and cutting one in the face with a knife. The State Attorney’s Office declined to pursue charges in that case, and he was released. We reached out to SAO on what they decided to drop the charges. They responded and let us know they are reviewing the case. Below is the full statement from the Daytona Beach police department on all three cases involving long on Valentine’s Day. “On February 14 at approximately 7:58 a.m., officers with the Daytona Beach Police Department encountered Jermaine Long at a property where the owner asked that he be removed. Officers issued a trespass warning, where he was formally notified, he could not return to the property. At that time, there was not enough evidence to arrest him, so he was released. Around 11:30 a.m. that same day, officers responded to a disturbance at the 7-Eleven at 35 South Atlantic Avenue. Mr. Long was accused of hitting someone in the head with a hammer earlier in the day, after an argument. Officers investigated and spoke with both parties. However, because the alleged victim did not fully cooperate and there was not enough evidence to legally justify an immediate arrest, Mr. Long was not taken into custody. The store clerk requested that law enforcement trespass Mr. Long from the establishment due to prior retail theft. It should be noted that the victim of this incident did not have any major injuries.Later, on February 14, officers responded to 18 South Ocean Avenue after receiving reports of a stabbing. This time, witnesses provided statements, the victim fully cooperated, and officers observed physical evidence at the scene. Based on that information, police had sufficient legal grounds to make an arrest. Mr. Long was located and arrested for Aggravated Battery.After further review of the prior incident, involving the hammer, investigators worked with the State Attorney’s Office and determined there was enough overall evidence to file an additional Aggravated Battery charge, even without the victim’s cooperation. As a result of the added charge, Mr. Long is now being held without bond. Initially, bond had been set at $50,000 in connection with the stabbing case.The department will not release body-worn camera footage at this time. Under Florida Statutes 119.01(3), 119.071(2)(c), and 119.011(3)(d), information related to active criminal investigations and pending prosecutions is exempt from public disclosure.The department has also begun an internal review of the investigation. This type of review is standard practice with complex investigations. No additional details will be released until the review is complete.”

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. —

The Daytona Beach Police Department has launched an internal review of its investigation into Jermaine Long.

That man is now facing several charges for two reported attacks.

Jermaine Long, the man police said slashed a 13-year-old’s throat in Daytona Beach, had two more run-ins with law enforcement earlier that day.

Police say the violence began around 8 a.m., when Long was trespassed from a home in Daytona Beach. Joanne Payne said her husband, who is friends with Long, had kicked him out the night before. But she said he returned the next morning.

“My neighbor called 911. She said he came back with a sledgehammer and was hollering that he was going to make some noise,” Payne said.

A few hours later, police say Long struck a man with a sledgehammer near a 7-Eleven on State Road A1A. Officers responded to the scene, but Long was not arrested at that time.

According to booking records, he was not arrested at the time, but this week, police charged him after the slashing incident that left a 13-year-old injured.

The teenager needed 13 stitches after the attack. However, the doctor explained that if the wound had been even one millimeter deeper, the consequences could have been far more serious.

We also reached out to the Daytona Beach police department on why Long was arrested for the 711 sledgehammer incident, and they said, “Officers investigated and spoke with both parties. However, because the alleged victim did not fully cooperate and there was not enough evidence to legally justify an immediate arrest, Mr. Long was not taken into custody. The store clerk requested that law enforcement trespass Mr. Long from the establishment due to prior retail theft. It should be noted that the victim of this incident did not have any major injuries.”

Long’s attorney said his client maintains his innocence.

“My client has indicated that he’s innocent, and that’s what we’re going to believe, that he’s innocent,” the attorney said.

Long is being held at the Volusia County Branch Jail without bond.

He has entered a not guilty plea in both cases.

WESH 2 also discovered that Long is a registered sex offender with a criminal history involving drugs and battery.

His most recent arrest before this one was for a case in January. He was accused of chasing two men with a wooden pole and cutting one in the face with a knife. The State Attorney’s Office declined to pursue charges in that case, and he was released. We reached out to SAO on what they decided to drop the charges. They responded and let us know they are reviewing the case.

Below is the full statement from the Daytona Beach police department on all three cases involving long on Valentine’s Day.

“On February 14 at approximately 7:58 a.m., officers with the Daytona Beach Police Department encountered Jermaine Long at a property where the owner asked that he be removed. Officers issued a trespass warning, where he was formally notified, he could not return to the property. At that time, there was not enough evidence to arrest him, so he was released.

Around 11:30 a.m. that same day, officers responded to a disturbance at the 7-Eleven at 35 South Atlantic Avenue. Mr. Long was accused of hitting someone in the head with a hammer earlier in the day, after an argument. Officers investigated and spoke with both parties. However, because the alleged victim did not fully cooperate and there was not enough evidence to legally justify an immediate arrest, Mr. Long was not taken into custody. The store clerk requested that law enforcement trespass Mr. Long from the establishment due to prior retail theft. It should be noted that the victim of this incident did not have any major injuries.

Later, on February 14, officers responded to 18 South Ocean Avenue after receiving reports of a stabbing. This time, witnesses provided statements, the victim fully cooperated, and officers observed physical evidence at the scene. Based on that information, police had sufficient legal grounds to make an arrest. Mr. Long was located and arrested for Aggravated Battery.

After further review of the prior incident, involving the hammer, investigators worked with the State Attorney’s Office and determined there was enough overall evidence to file an additional Aggravated Battery charge, even without the victim’s cooperation. As a result of the added charge, Mr. Long is now being held without bond. Initially, bond had been set at $50,000 in connection with the stabbing case.

The department will not release body-worn camera footage at this time. Under Florida Statutes 119.01(3), 119.071(2)(c), and 119.011(3)(d), information related to active criminal investigations and pending prosecutions is exempt from public disclosure.

The department has also begun an internal review of the investigation. This type of review is standard practice with complex investigations. No additional details will be released until the review is complete.”