PORT ST. LUCIE. Fla. (CBS12) — Somerset College Preparatory Academy entered a precautionary lockdown on Wednesday morning after police reported an armed suspect in the Torino area. Administrators notified families that the middle–high campus was securing classrooms “out of an abundance of caution” while law enforcement searched the nearby area. School officials emphasized that students were not in any immediate danger.

In a follow-up message, the school reported that it remained on a modified lockdown while awaiting confirmation from the Port St. Lucie Police Department that the suspect had either been apprehended or confirmed to be further from campus. Administrators reiterated that the safety measures were precautionary and that students remained secure inside classrooms.

See also: Confession of illegal relationship came to school police months before arrest: Affidavit

A later update stated that all students had been escorted to their regular first-period classes. Staff ensured students received breakfast and positioned additional adults around campus to monitor activity. Instruction continued inside classrooms, though students were not permitted to move freely around campus while the suspect remained at large.

The school also issued guidance for dual enrollment students. Those already at Indian River State College were directed to remain there until receiving official clearance to return to Somerset. Students at the Somerset campus were told they would not be attending their in-person IRSC classes until the lockdown was lifted and were advised to email their professors regarding the situation.

In its third update of the morning, Somerset reported that the last confirmed sighting of the suspect was around three miles from the school.

As a result, staff continued escorting students to meals, restrooms, and classes. Administrators acknowledged the challenges posed by the restrictions but said the measures were necessary to maintain safety. They continued to stress that students were not in imminent danger and that the precautions were being taken strictly out of caution.

In a fourth update, the school said that when it comes time for dismissal, and the suspect isn’t apprehended, staff will dismiss one bus at a time out of the gym doors, which is the closest set of doors to the bus doors. Parents are allowed to check their children out. If you come to the office, your students will be escorted to you. With regards to parent pick up dismissal, the school said it will put out a plan as soon as they finish working out the details.

The school told families that updates would continue until police provided full clearance.

PSLPD is currently searching for an armed man after police say he allegedly shot and killed his father at Ketona Circle.