The father of a teen driver involved in a 2023 crash that killed three children and their grandmother has been sentenced to 37 years in prison after he was found guilty of manslaughter.Prosecutors argued Richard Ferguson, 68, was responsible for allowing his teenage son to drive that night.Because Ferguson is 70 years old, he is expected to spend the rest of his life in prison.His son, the then-15-year-old driver, ran a two-way stop at San Miguel Road and Laurel Avenue on Sept. 3, 2023. The teen, who did not have a permit, crashed into the family’s vehicle, killing all four people.His father was arrested and charged with four counts of vehicular manslaughter.The arrest affidavit said Ferguson allowed the teen and his friends to use the car without supervision.Ferguson’s son previously took a plea deal in the case. He is to be held until the age of 19 pending good behavior.Victim’s responses to guilty verdictThe victims’ mother, Sabrina Hernandez, cried as the verdict was read in October 2025 — “guilty” repeated four times in the courtroom. Ferguson stood silent before being handcuffed and taken into custody.”This has been so hard for our family,” Hernandez said after the verdict. “We’ve waited two years for justice — and today, we finally got it.” The victim’s family left the court holding one another, saying they hope this verdict brings them some peace after years of pain.”We believe this is the right decision,” Hernandez said. “We will never get our family members back.”Defendant’s family members’ testimony at sentencingFerguson’s daughter took the stand on Wednesday during the sentencing, and in an emotional state, she said her father would “give you the shirt off his back.”Ferguson’s daughter described him as loving, compassionate, always wanting his children to believe in family and believes in accountability and responsibility.Following the testimony of Ferguson’s daughter was his niece. “I just want to send my sincerest condolences to the family. I’m so deeply sorry for your loss,” she said.She went on to ask them to consider releasing her uncle so he could get the proper medication and care for a stage 4 cancer diagnosis and heart conditions.Moments before the sentence was given, Ferguson himself took the stand.”I stand before you today as a deeply broken man,” Ferguson said on the stand. “Each day is living in grief, regret and pain that knows no limit.””I offer my most profound and sincere apology. I am so deeply sorry for your loss and suffering,” he added.Ferguson said he will grieve the family’s losses for the rest of his life.Victim impact statementsAngel Hernandez, whose wife and grandchildren were killed in the crash, said he would like to see the maximum sentence given to Richard Ferguson after providing his testimony.”A car in the wrong hands becomes a weapon,” said Anissa Hernandez, the daughter of the woman killed in the crash. The children were her nieces and nephew.Anissa Hernandez emphasised the importance of justice, and also said she would like to see the maximum sentence for Ferguson.Sabrina Hernandez, another daughter of the victim and the mother of the children killed, took the stand and said no human experience can replicate what she’s feeling.”They should’ve been burying me, not the other way around,” she said.She said every day, there are reminders of their absence. Sabrina Hernandez said she was hoping for the maximum sentence as well.
OSCEOLA COUNTY, Fla. —
The father of a teen driver involved in a 2023 crash that killed three children and their grandmother has been sentenced to 37 years in prison after he was found guilty of manslaughter.
Prosecutors argued Richard Ferguson, 68, was responsible for allowing his teenage son to drive that night.
Because Ferguson is 70 years old, he is expected to spend the rest of his life in prison.
His son, the then-15-year-old driver, ran a two-way stop at San Miguel Road and Laurel Avenue on Sept. 3, 2023. The teen, who did not have a permit, crashed into the family’s vehicle, killing all four people.
His father was arrested and charged with four counts of vehicular manslaughter.
The arrest affidavit said Ferguson allowed the teen and his friends to use the car without supervision.
Ferguson’s son previously took a plea deal in the case. He is to be held until the age of 19 pending good behavior.
Victim’s responses to guilty verdict
The victims’ mother, Sabrina Hernandez, cried as the verdict was read in October 2025 — “guilty” repeated four times in the courtroom. Ferguson stood silent before being handcuffed and taken into custody.
“This has been so hard for our family,” Hernandez said after the verdict. “We’ve waited two years for justice — and today, we finally got it.”
The victim’s family left the court holding one another, saying they hope this verdict brings them some peace after years of pain.
“We believe this is the right decision,” Hernandez said. “We will never get our family members back.”
Defendant’s family members’ testimony at sentencing
Ferguson’s daughter took the stand on Wednesday during the sentencing, and in an emotional state, she said her father would “give you the shirt off his back.”
Ferguson’s daughter described him as loving, compassionate, always wanting his children to believe in family and believes in accountability and responsibility.
Following the testimony of Ferguson’s daughter was his niece.
“I just want to send my sincerest condolences to the family. I’m so deeply sorry for your loss,” she said.
She went on to ask them to consider releasing her uncle so he could get the proper medication and care for a stage 4 cancer diagnosis and heart conditions.
Moments before the sentence was given, Ferguson himself took the stand.
“I stand before you today as a deeply broken man,” Ferguson said on the stand. “Each day is living in grief, regret and pain that knows no limit.”
“I offer my most profound and sincere apology. I am so deeply sorry for your loss and suffering,” he added.
Ferguson said he will grieve the family’s losses for the rest of his life.
Victim impact statements
Angel Hernandez, whose wife and grandchildren were killed in the crash, said he would like to see the maximum sentence given to Richard Ferguson after providing his testimony.

“A car in the wrong hands becomes a weapon,” said Anissa Hernandez, the daughter of the woman killed in the crash. The children were her nieces and nephew.
Anissa Hernandez emphasised the importance of justice, and also said she would like to see the maximum sentence for Ferguson.
Sabrina Hernandez, another daughter of the victim and the mother of the children killed, took the stand and said no human experience can replicate what she’s feeling.
“They should’ve been burying me, not the other way around,” she said.
She said every day, there are reminders of their absence. Sabrina Hernandez said she was hoping for the maximum sentence as well.