ALLENTOWN, Pa. (WFMZ) — An Allentown mom is sounding the alarm after her daughter walked out of her elementary school this morning and ended up at home.

She says her 9-year-old daughter has special needs and must be escorted to and from class.

This comes just a week after a 6-year-old boy walked out of another Allentown school.

Cianie Alvarado dropped her kids off at Brigadier General Anna Mae Hays Elementary School Monday morning and not long after arriving home, she found her daughter Luna in her yard.

“Saw my dog started barking, checked the cameras and Luna was in my yard,” Alvarado said.

Alvarado told us Luna, who is in 4th grade at Hays, slipped out a door and walked home. Alvarado said Luna has special needs and a school safety plan.

“She’s supposed to get escorted to class, the restroom, the nurse, anywhere in the school building. I’m assuming both times this wasn’t the case,” Alvarado explained.

According to Alvarado, this isn’t the first time Luna has left school.

“This happened again, the first day of school. The same school. This happened a handful of times with Central. The first time this happened she was just five years old. I’m too scared to leave home so that I can make sure that I’m home there if she ends up leaving the school again,” Alvarado said.

Alvarado told 69 News she’s voiced her concerns to the Allentown School Board and has called police.

“I have filed police reports every time that this happened. It’s not getting resolved,” Alvarado explained. “I’m just taking it day by day. As a mom, I’ve taken all the precautions that I can to make sure this is prevented. There’s only so much that I can do when she’s in the hands of others.”

Regarding the incident, the Allentown School District said:

“This morning, a student at Hays Elementary arrived approximately 30 minutes late to school. Upon entering, the student walked a younger sibling to class and was then expected to report to their own 4th-grade classroom. Instead of reporting to class, the student proceeded to exit the school through a side door. When the student did not arrive at class, the teacher followed protocol and immediately notified the main office. At that time, school leadership began implementing established safety procedures, including contacting the Allentown Police Department. The student was located shortly thereafter and confirmed safe.

While we are limited in what we can share due to student privacy, we want to clarify that our schools have established safety protocols, and our staff responded appropriately and promptly. This incident underscores the importance of shared responsibility between schools and families in reinforcing safe behaviors, especially during arrival and dismissal times.

The District is conducting an internal investigation and a review of procedures to identify ways we can enhance and strengthen safety in our schools. It is important to acknowledge that no safety system is foolproof without the full cooperation and accountability of everyone involved, including staff, students, and families.

Regarding the incident at dismissal at Ramos Elementary School on Monday, September 15, 2025, once the student was reported missing, school and district staff followed established protocols. School leaders worked in close coordination with law enforcement to locate the student as quickly as possible.

Since then, the District has met with the student’s family to discuss what took place and reviewed the protocols at Ramos Elementary School. The District is also conducting an internal investigation to determine how we can strengthen safety procedures.

We remain committed to maintaining safe, supportive, and responsive schools. The well-being and safety of our staff and students remains our greatest priorities. We thank our staff, families, and community partners for their continued partnership.”